Bathroom remodel and plumbing drain venting questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary l

Reaction score
OK I could really use some advice here it is greatly appreciated... I'm doing a complete bathroom remodel.. I attached a diagram of the pipes pretty accurate.. The toilet is located directing in top of the sewer stack with a straight shit vertical... It has a vent but this vent runs horizontal and into a wall I'm taking down... It's also very hard to relocate that pipe based on my construction... I was wondering if thus vent is even necessary with the 2 other drains acting like wet vents.. There is only like 3 feet between the vents to the top of the toilet.. I am moving both the sink and shower lines but they will still be vented through the roof when I'm done... If the toilet needs that vent I was considering doing a Cheater vent but I was curious what the experts think .. I really appreciate any input

Attachments

• 20190910_192313.jpg
    20190910_192313.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 227

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the pipe leading off to the lav and shower is 2" then that will wet vent the bathroom. The horizontal vent for the is wrong, and not needed.
Are you sure there isn't something else drain into it? Can't be horizontal on a dry vent below flood level.

Most homes need the equivalent of a 3" going out through the roof. Sometimes that means a single 3" and some places allow two 2" vents and a 1.5" to make up the area of a 3".

Gary l

Reaction score
If the pipe leading off to the lav and shower is 2" then that will wet vent the bathroom. The horizontal vent for the is wrong, and not needed.
Are you sure there isn't something else drain into it? Can't be horizontal on a dry vent below flood level.

Most homes need the equivalent of a 3" going out through the roof. Sometimes that means a single 3" and some places allow two 2" vents and a 1.5" to make up the area of a 3".

Hmmmmm actually after reading ur message and thinking about it i have a laundry room washing machine drain that I'm cutting out and didn't put in the diagram.. I have to cut that wall open put u may be right that may be draining into that pipe.. I'm moving the laundry room downstairs so that pipe is not needed so do u think I can just remove those pipes and cap both ends (one in attic and one below first floor) if that's the case... Thx u so much for information..

Gary l

Reaction score
Hmmmmm actually after reading ur message and thinking about it i have a laundry room washing machine drain that I'm cutting out and didn't put in the diagram.. I have to cut that wall open put u may be right that may be draining into that pipe.. I'm moving the laundry room downstairs so that pipe is not needed so do u think I can just remove those pipes and cap both ends (one in attic and one below first floor) if that's the case... Thx u so much for information..

Terry waz just wondering what ya think

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you are removing the washer from that floor, you can leave most of the piping in and just cap the washer.
If being inspected, the washer changes whether you can wet vent the bathroom. You could cap both sides of that off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks