Bathroom Remodel (again)

Users who are viewing this thread

K2

Reaction score
Website
www.draghead.com
hello, it's been a while since I last posted and I need some opinions for a remodel.

I have a small L shaped bathroom. Bottom of the "L" will be the stand alone shower that I would like to use the Kerdi system in.

The rest of the rest of the "L" will have a slipper tub, toilet & vanity. I have a pretty good fan (brand new) properly ventilated through the roof in the middle of the room to help remove moisture.

I woul like to tile the shower completely, and the bathroom would have 1/2 wall tiling all around.

My questions are:
1) Can I use sheetrock throughout the bathroom, or should I consider CBU in any place?
2) Should I use a vapor barrier on the 'internal' walls? The exterior wall already has it in place.
3) In the shower when the sheetrock is in place, before the kerdi system is installed, is it necessary to mud & tape?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

kurt

SeattleSoxFan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
jandmcarpentry.com
My questions are:
1) Can I use sheetrock throughout the bathroom, or should I consider CBU in any place?

You can use drywall throughout. You can consider CBU's if impact resistance is important, but the drywall is definitely sufficient.

2) Should I use a vapor barrier on the 'internal' walls? The exterior wall already has it in place.

Not if you mean plastic behind the drywall. I would use a PVA primer though.

3) In the shower when the sheetrock is in place, before the kerdi system is installed, is it necessary to mud & tape?

I don't know that they require it, but I like to have it flat to start with. Tiling is easier if things are flat :) I would tape any tapered joints and use a vertical sheet for the "end" of the L without tapered edges. I don't like to build up the corners as a normal drywall corner though (because they aren't flat). FWIW, The demos that I've seen them do at trade shows use vertical drywall and with no taping done. At least some of your walls are longer than 4' and you might get sick of doing vertical seams...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No need to tape the seams on drywall when using Kerdi. If you are going to use small tile, you could use some thinset to screed the tapered edges so they are flat first and let it set up, then install the Kerdi, but it isn't necessary...don't use drywall compound (well, the powdered, setting kind might be okay, but not the premixed, bucket stuff - since you'll already have thinset, just use it).

I'd be more comfortable using cbu around the tub unless you are going to use Kerdi there as well. The tub may end up being used by kids, and they tend to splash. You won't need to go up very far. Drywall doesn't like wet...

www.johnbridge.com is a great place to ask tiling questions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks