Bathroom pop-up drain assembly (warning! newbie!)

Users who are viewing this thread

jdeare

Reaction score
First off, I am a complete newbie to any kind of plumbing. I like to do stuff myself when I can though...

I recently installed a new sink (Glacier Bay from HD) and faucet (Moen Adler) in my bathroom. The sink was a surprise, but the old one was in way worse condition than I thought when I set out to replace the faucet.

Anyway, the faucet came with a drain assembly that is giving me fits. I keep getting drips from where the coned washer interfaces with the bottom of the sink. The drain assembly has the flange (the visible piece in the sink--I think that's the right term) as one piece (instead of screw on), which is different than all the install tip sites I looked at. And it also makes it very hard to line up the tailpiece so the rod can go in the hole correctly. And on top of that the tailpiece is frustratingly short which means I had to use a slip joint extension to get the extra inch to mate with the trap correctly.

Anyway, I'm not positive on the drain assembly. I think it's going to leak again, even if it's not leaking now.

So I'm thinking that I should buy a replacement, but I'm unsure what to look for in one that will be better than what I have now. Is there a brand I should look for, or anything like that?

Thanks in advance!

https://www.moen.com/shared/docs/instruction-sheets/ins10059b.pdf

adler-plastic-drain-pic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
SOmetimes, the rubber washer does not seal well next to the threads, and water can seep out between the washer along the threads. Some pipe dope or rub some plumbers putty in them before you install the nut and washer can help.

jdeare

Reaction score
Ah! Like right above the rubber washer? The water does seem to be seeping along the threads (it's a pretty small amount of water really). Thanks!

jdeare

Reaction score
It's definitely a cheap plastic assembly, that's for sure. Somewhat ironically, I bought the Moen faucet partly because the assembly was included.

Anyway, my local Ace guy is ordering a brass assembly for me. No idea on the brand but he says it will work better (special order because of the finish, brushed nickel), and if it doesn't they will take it back. And if I can't get it to work without leaking, I will call my plumber. :)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Jim mentioned above what all the plumbers do, they either smear some plumbers putty or some pipe dope on the threads of the drain assembly. You can't count on the large rubber washer to prevent water from finding it's way down the threads.

It's not in the instructions, but it's what we do "every" time.

jdeare

Reaction score
I'm definitely going to do that next time around (probably later this week). And thanks--this is literally the only place I found that info, and I looked a lot of places!

Gary Hancock

Reaction score
Smearing pipe dope in the threads means doing a few wraps of pipe sealant as the equivalent ? Correct ? Thanks
I have the same problem .

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Smearing pipe dope in the threads means doing a few wraps of pipe sealant as the equivalent ? Correct ? Thanks
I have the same problem .

I know that putty or thread sealant works (pipe dope in plumbers terms)
I have not tried tape on those threads. And it's really just where the drain passes through the rubber washer at the bottom of the sink basin. We know that often water rolls down those threads, and gets by the rubber washer. We're stopping the gettaway car so to speak by setting up road blocks with the putty or pipe dope.

Rick2999

Reaction score
Question about Glacier Bay plastic drain kit. Instructions say use silicone. Is this be cause the drain is made of ABS? Can we use plumbers putty instead?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Question about Glacier Bay plastic drain kit. Instructions say use silicone. Is this be cause the drain is made of ABS? Can we use plumbers putty instead?

They make a stainless putty without the oils, and some pipe dope is okay on plastics.
Silicone is a CYA for the manufacturer. It also works.

sta_put_ultra.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks