Bathroom plumbing questions in 1960s house

Users who are viewing this thread

Trey

Reaction score
I am in the process of remodeling a bathroom in my house that was built in the 60s. I've drawn up (forgive my poor writing!) A quick sketch of what I'm putting in and wanted to see if anything looks off.

-does the venting look sufficient? There are only three sinks that utilize that vertical pipe for draining from above. I am adding a bath/shower combo that pipes in at the combo wye that will utilize the same drain/vent as the toilet and three sinks. Not sure if I need to add a separate vent from the shower drain to connect to the vent pipe further up in the wall.

Any input is helpful, thanks!

Trey

Attachments

• Scan_2020-04-28-092812827.pdf
    43.7 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

Trey

Reaction score
Also, any thoughts on connecting PVC to the old cast iron drain pipe under my foundation? I'm connecting to a CI 3" coupler so I was planning to use a fernco donut but not sure if I should use any kind of compound to help seal the joint. I really don't want to have to dig it up again in the future

fernco-donut.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can't wet vent from a floor above. Wet venting takes place on the same floor and they are bathroom fixtures.
Not kitchen sink or laundry sinks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Toilet above should feed into a 45 which feeds into a wye, or a combo, which is a combination of a 45 and a wye.

Trey

Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of.. that's how the original plumbing was set up, I was just tying in a new shower/tub.

IPDQKWID

Reaction score
Toilet above should feed into a 45 which feeds into a wye, or a combo, which is a combination of a 45 and a wye.

Trying to find answers to a few questions, and upstairs toilet is one of them. Do you mean that a pipe attached to the closet flange should at no point turn horizontal on its way to the stack? Or are you saying that at the stack it should not an elbow? I hope that made sense. Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you mean that a pipe attached to the closet flange should at no point turn horizontal on its way to the stack? Or are you saying that at the stack it should not an elbow?
Neither. When waste from something else joins the toilet stream it should come in at 45 degrees or through a combo.

There is more than one right way to do things. If you join the flow with a lavatory on the same floor, that makes venting much easier.

So if you describe where stuff will be, and which way the sewer line leaves the area, somebody will probably tell you a good way to route things.

In your drawing if you have your vented lav drain join the shower drain, and the combination then merges with the toilet at 45 degrees, you are probably good. If the lavatory and shower and toilet are on the same floor, your sketch is close.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks