Bathroom pipes - is this right?

Users who are viewing this thread

James Broadback

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been reading on here for a while. I love this forum! We are adding another room in our basement and needed to move some pipes over. Is this setup correct? I just duplicated what was in place already just literally moved it over away from the window edge, over about 10".

Any advice that you have would be great. I just want to make sure it is all OK.

Attachments

• pipes-setup-sm.jpg
    pipes-setup-sm.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 386

Stuff

Reaction score
Shower is an illegal S-trap. San-tee is not proper for the sink connection as on its side - should be wye or tee-wye. The "vent" is only venting the toilet. Can't tell from the picture but does vent turn and go horizontal before going up?
Assume sink drain has its own vent above.
Also - not clear but going from vertical to horizontal needs to be long sweep elbow.

James Broadback

Reaction score
Hello Stuff,

Thanks for the reply. The vent does go horizontal the orange line is supposed to be the path it follows that is hidden. The sink is vented above via AAV. The blue line shows the path of the shower drain. There is a curve that is supposed to be a trap and then it goes horizontal before turning down. I attached another image if it helps. How can I fix this?

Attachments

• pipes2-setup-sm.jpg
    pipes2-setup-sm.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 359

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You are ASSUMING it is an "S" trap, but have no idea whether there is actually a vertical vent about, which is very possible, (if we could see the connection since it is hidden in the photo), where it connects.

Reach4

Reaction score
The shower drain, and that which follows, is supposed to be 2 inch. Is "sink" the bathroom sink?

Your second photo confirms S trap.

What is that pipe at the top center of that second photo?

James Broadback

Reaction score
The shower drain, and that which follows, is supposed to be 2 inch. Is "sink" the bathroom sink?

Your second photo confirms S trap.

What is that pipe at the top center of that second photo?

Hello Reach4,

The sink is the bathroom sink. On that side of the house that is all there is. The kitchen and laundry area are on the other side of the house no where near this. The center pipe is the vent. The blue line in the first photo shows the pipe path. there is about a foot of pipe before the drop down. Is that still considered an S trap, even with the space? Once the water leaves the trap it never goes back up.

Reach4

Reaction score
The blue line in the first photo shows the pipe path. there is about a foot of pipe before the drop down. Is that still considered an S trap, even with the space? Once the water leaves the trap it never goes back up.
Still an S trap. After the trap, where the horizontal part of the blue line is, you need a vent to introduce air before the pipe turns back down. What that does is to prevent the flowing water to all continue down, leaving the trap empty of water. By introducing air, the siphoning of the trap is prevented.

James Broadback

Reaction score
Still an S trap. After the trap, where the horizontal part of the blue line is, you need a vent to introduce air before the pipe turns back down. What that does is to prevent the flowing water to all continue down, leaving the trap empty of water. By introducing air, the siphoning of the trap is prevented.

Thanks Reach4,

What do you think would be the best way to set this up? Could I add a tee after the trap on the shower to go over to the vent?

Reach4

Reaction score
What do you think would be the best way to set this up? Could I add a tee after the trap on the shower to go over to the vent?
I don't know.
Prescribing a fix is a lot harder than detecting a flaw.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4. I guess for now I can work on venting the tub drain after the trap as a start.
Now you say tub rather than shower. Tub drains are allowed to be 1-1/2 inch, even if there is a showerhead.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks