Bathroom pipes go from 3/4 to 1/2 inch for total of 8 feet. will I benefit if I convert to 3/4 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

bnbhoha

Reaction score
My house has 38psi water pressure (which is considered average for the city). I've gutted my 2nd floor bathroom and noticed that I have 3/4 copper pipes coming up, but then right from where they come up I have 90 degree where it turns in to 1/2 inch. This 1/2 feeds the sink then continues approx 4feet and goes up another 3.5 feet to feed the shower (total five feet horizontal and then 3.5 vertical).

My understanding is if you're feeding off a pipe, that pipe should be 3/4. I'm never going to use the sink while I'm taking a shower upstairs, so I'm not concerned about using upstairs sink and shower at the same time. However, I was wondering since I have the walls out, would it benefit me at all (flow/pressure) if I replaced the 1/4 pipe all the way to the shower valves and even the sink with 3/4. My water tank is in the basment. I spoke with a couple of plumbers and am getting conflicting info. Thank you.

Flapper

Reaction score
I do not think it will make any noticeable difference; the shower and faucet have flow restrictors.

George Maniere

Reaction score
I once did a bathroom with Newport Brass rain heads and body sprays. Had the plumber run 3/4" home run and client told me it was like a rain forest.
They loved it.
Don't think it makes that much difference to regular use

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I assume you have copper. 3/4" is better in your situation, but It really depends on how will you use the shower, whether or not you will use the shower, sink and toilet at the same time (doubt that).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks