Bathroom floor waterproofing options (and repairs)

Users who are viewing this thread

Ameds613

Reaction score
Part of a bathroom remodel, I am removing an old prefab shower enclosure and replacing it with a new one. I am also replacing the tile floors.

I noticed some water damage at both corners of the old shower base. I have 2 questions for this community of expert diy'ers.

1- What are my options for waterproofing the subfloor before laying my new tile? Am I limited to only using an uncoupling membrane like Ditra? I am trying to avoid increasing the height of the floors, my bathroom floor is already higher than the adjacent room. From what I've read, I don't think I can apply a roll-on membrane directly to OSB or Plywood subfloor. Any input would be helpful.

2- I am inclined to rip out some of the water damaged framing and replacing with new lumber. Is this overkill or a good idea? If so, I am puzzled on how to remove and replace the bottom plate with the electrical cable coming through it.

20230308_163831.jpg
20230308_163839.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you planning to tile again? Explain how you plan to do that. What other layers will you be installing?

If you're just looking to waterproof OSB or plywood you can use tar paper or felt as it's also known and then a blackjack tar like product to seal where it overlaps and the corners.

Ameds613

Reaction score
Are you planning to tile again? Explain how you plan to do that. What other layers will you be installing?

If you're just looking to waterproof OSB or plywood you can use tar paper or felt as it's also known and then a blackjack tar like product to seal where it overlaps and the corners.
the subfloor is 2 layers of 5/8" plywood. I'll be layer new tile over it.
If using a membrane is my only option, should I lay the membrane down on the whole floor, even under the fibreglass shower pan? Or should I just start it from the pan and put some sealant in the gap?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks