Bathroom faucet water leak - faulty faucet using both lines

Users who are viewing this thread

grall1126

Reaction score
Hi,

I just placed a cheap Glacier Bay faucet, two handle into the sink. This is the problem.

I only have the hot water line hooked up on the faucet. I also have the cold water line from the faucet hooked up but not to the cold water supply. It's just hanging downward into a bucket. No cold water right now. Therefore, when I turn on the hot water, no water should be coming out of the cold water line. I have the cold water handle off but water still drips out. If I turn the cold water handle on - more water comes out.

It's like the hot water line is using both lines.

It seems to me that something is amiss inside the faucet?

What do you think?

Glacier Bay 217251 bath faucet out of home depot.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The water crosses over into the cold side from the hot.
You will need to either cap off the cold inlet to the faucet, or hook it up too.
The faucet somes with 1/2" straight threads, not tapered. A standard cap doesn't work well there.

grall1126

Reaction score
Thanks Terry but I was wondering that shouldn't be normal for something like that. I thought when one line is closed off no water should be coming through? It looks like a few people have had the same problem with internal leaking in this faucet.

thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In theory, when you have the handle set to all hot, nothing should come out of the cold supply line (assuming it is unattached), but, depending on the cartridge design and quality, it can happen, as you're seeing. The only way to fix that is to cap it. One fairly easy way would be to put a valve on it - assuming you're going to eventually connect the cold supply, you'll need one anyways.

grall1126

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies, I am going to the store today and replace the cold water shut off valve so I can run the water. Hopefully this part comes of okay.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks