Bathroom fan sizing

Users who are viewing this thread

Sunseteco

Reaction score
Well I have been scouring the web and have tried all the calculations to determine a new fan size. I am almost done installing my new tub and shower (just a tub previously) and I am thinking that a new fan is not a bad idea, since I will now have a shower also. Now the bathroom is just about 8x8 with an almost 8 foot ceiling. I have found 2 different calculations which are fairly close to one another....lets just say 70 cfm is what they are calling for. Would a 90 cfm fan be sufficient? too much? I am not really concerned with energy loss. I just want the moisture and smells to be removed quickly. The run up thru the roof is probably 3 to 4 feet from the fan so the run is not long at all. The current piping is 4 inches with no bends. It does have the flexible, insulated pipe which I could change if need be. I have also cut the bottom of the bathroom door so that there is a 1 inch gap under the door for replacement airflow. I'm just curious what you pros out there are doing and if the calculations on the web are legitimate or if there is a better method of sizing a bathroom fan. Any thoughts or opinions are very welcome. Thanks to all.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
8-10 volume changes per hour. A heat recovery heat exchanger isn't a bad idea somewhere in the house so all that air isn't pulled through cracks and you can manage the energy impacts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks