Bathroom exhaust

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark Olenick

I've got a good memory. It's just short ;-/
Reaction score
Hi DIYer here.

I've checked the code compliance book I have and could not find the answer so I'm hoping a professional can provide some guidance. Residential bathroom exhaust. 4 inch vent. Based on install conditions, without going into tremendous detail, I'd like to use schedule 40 PVC to vent to outside instead of smooth metal. Total run 18 feet plus to ell's The book I have does not mention ducting material. Is the sch 40 pvc allowable ?

Thanks

Reaction score
It will work, but attaching the PVC to exhaust on the fan and the hood on the outside of the house will be a difficult. PVC and ducting are different sizes. The PVC is about 1/2 inch larger on the OD.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
OP is working with bathroom vent, and your link is for dryer vent - so it doesn't apply.
But I agree that the PVC size/thickness will be an issue.

Mark Olenick

I've got a good memory. It's just short ;-/
Reaction score
It will work, but attaching the PVC to exhaust on the fan and the hood on the outside of the house will be a difficult. PVC and ducting are different sizes. The PVC is about 1/2 inch larger on the OD.

Thanks Bill. Maybe a fernco at each end for final connect?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks