Bathroom double vanity not draining

Users who are viewing this thread

e_tietze

Reaction score
We have a double vanity in our bathroom which was converted from a single. It doesn't drain well at all, sometimes takes 24+ hours to drain. The toilet and tub drain fine. I've disassembled the drains under the sinks and found no clogs. Ran gel clog remover through it, no change. Used a bladder and hot water which seemed to go through just fine, water was flowing at the exterior cleanout. I'm thinking at this point maybe a venting issue? There's not an under sink drain do I thought of adding one but wanted to see if I'm wasting time and money. Plumbing is nowhere near being my specialty. A photo of the plumbing is attached.

Attachments

• 2015-12-19 01.09.42.jpg
    2015-12-19 01.09.42.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 10,316
Reaction score
Please make some effort to search around the forums here, there are plenty of answers and solutions for this, so we don't have to keep repeating answers that are easily found.

If there used to be a single there, and you didn't touch anything in the wall, then this double is fine.

A lot of kitchen sinks are single trapped exactly this same way.

Assuming your drain tailpipe is clear, you have a clogged drain somewhere after the trap. That's fixed with a drain auger, handsnake or mechanical.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I agree with the others that you need to snake the drain in the wall.

In addition, I would look closely to ensure that the existing horizontal piping under the sink really is pitched towards the drain, not flat or pitched backwards. If the pitch is not adequate, the solids will build up in the horizontal piping, resulting in a slow drain.

e_tietze

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I'll try to run a snake through the wall and see where I get. I did see this question on here but I wanted to make sure my specific installation was ok. I wasn't sure if possibly it was a simple problem with how the drains were setup under the sink which is why I made sure to post a picture. Thanks again for the responses.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks