Bathroo without floor drain should I consider leaving an opening toward the next room that has one ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mini Me

Reaction score
This is (to me) an interesting dilemma and idea
I have a bathroom in the basement and it is adjacent to a kitchen which has a floor drain in the middle of it (it so happened that when the basement was partitioned the floor drain for the entire basement ended up being there so the enter basement floor is sloped to drain there.
My framing looks like this, the bottom plate is suspended on pieces of wood, it is not adjacent to the floor.
Would it be a good idea to put a small pipe there and open the drywall so I can drain to the kitchen in the event of a flood in the bathroom ?

mini-me-13.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think I would just lift all the drywall off the floor (which is the normal way to install drywall) off the floor and any baseboard as well so that it all has a uniform opening / reveal. Water is going to go wherever it wants to go and it will go under the wall no matter where you place that tube. So let it breathe if it does get wet.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could do that too, or leave the drywall down to the floor so someone doesn't freak out when they see a bug crawling under the wall into the bathroom. :eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks