Bath Tub Overflow Confusion

Users who are viewing this thread

Jmpage2

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I had a bit of a scare recently when my oldest overfilled one of the home's upstairs bathtubs, water started being discharged into a light fixture in the ceiling below the tub, fortunately there was no permanent damage.

I removed the overflow drain cover which appears to be a Watco plate kit that is still available today. The ring of the Watco kit was screwed tight to the discharge tube but the discharge tube itself isn't caulked/gasketed to the tub. I checked all of the other tubs in the home and they are all the same.

Were these installed incorrectly? Is the discharge tube supposed to be caulked to the tub? I don't see how water can be kept out with just the Watko cover plate as it doesn't appear to create a fully water tight seal to the tub when it is screwed on. I thought perhaps a gasket is supposed to be included, but nope, the replacement kit doesn't come with a gasket either.

I suppose it's also possible that the discharge tube in that bath is not correctly hooked up, but I don't see a way I can service that without ripping the tub out or opening up the drywall below it.

Thanks,

J

Attachments

• IMG_5037.jpg
    IMG_5037.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_5038.jpg
    IMG_5038.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 143

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
looks normal ? there is , or should be a thick spongy gasket on other side between the tub and the plastic fitting if you can push back on the male thread and look and see . cant do much from that side but you can install the gasket if missing. busting out drywall might be required but not just yet

Jmpage2

Reaction score
Hi Jeff, thanks for the reply. If there is a gasket I don’t see how it could be installed as I can move the overflow tube pretty easily by hand but it does seem to be attached to the drain line.

Do you happen to know what size/description exists for that gasket? I’ve searched for this part but can’t find any reference for it so assume it is something generic.

Jmpage2

Reaction score
So Home Depot sells a Danco overflow plate gasket, but it seems this normally is retained by the screwed in style overflow mounting plate, I don’t have any way of retaining this unless it was captured by the screw on plate fitting or jammed between the discharge tube and the tub itself n

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
there are many varietys but the majority of overflow gaskets are round and thick spongy. just look for one that fits a 901 watco

Jmpage2

Reaction score
from this video it appears there is no gasket for the 901 Watco, the ring itself is what seals to the tub, so I guess mine isn’t working. Either an imperfection in the mating surface between The tub and ring allowing water to escape, hooked up incorrectly, etc.

I suppose I can apply a bit of Vaseline to the back of the locking ring to improve the seal but a gasket doesn’t appear to be an option to fix this.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
leaks on overflows like yours are common, mostly by inexperianced guys in a hurry. many arent tested well when built and go un noticed for a while some people just take showers or dont fill that high. you should be able to see the washer by pushing back on the black plastic.

Jmpage2

Reaction score
Jeff is correct about the foam rubber washer behind the tub. The washer comes with the 901 and is shown in their instructions. The video never looks at the parts behind the tub.

Thanks Terry, I'm not sure I can determine if it is installed since there is so little room between the tub and the overflow tube to move things around. Not sure I can get a replacement back there either.

Jmpage2

Reaction score
leaks on overflows like yours are common, mostly by inexperianced guys in a hurry. many arent tested well when built and go un noticed for a while some people just take showers or dont fill that high. you should be able to see the washer by pushing back on the black plastic.

thanks for your help I will see what I can figure out

Jmpage2

Reaction score
So, there is a foam ring there, but it is far enough back that even when the overflow tube is pulled forward by the locking collar it is not mating up against the wall of the tub.

I'm not sure if I can really get it out (not much space). Is it okay to just try to jam another one in and leave that one in place so that there's a better tub seal?

Thanks

Jmpage2

Reaction score
Okay well picked up the Danco gasket that home depot sells, no way I can get it in, even the thinnest part of the gasket is too thick to slip between the tub and the overflow tube.

Guess I'm all done here. If I want to provide more of a seal for it I would have to silicone it or come up with some other rigged fix.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks