Bath Remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

JCR

Reaction score
Just remodeled master bathroom, went from dual faucet to single faucet in shower. now have bangin sound everytime water is turned off. water turned off slow--no banging. Someone suggested the valves not tight behind new shower faucet. Any ideas on this? Maybe have to take off faucet and check it out.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Which faucet did you install?

Loose pipes could cause problems.
Or some of the old valves, which the big box stores still sell could give you that too.

JCR

Reaction score
This is the expert! Shower faucet replaced, Moen # L82683, thinking it may be the mixing valve because no cold water when turn off hot water valve only. really a mystery, but will look into pipes too. Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Told you several times...a pressure balance valve is supposed to shut off the cold if there is no hot water pressure...

As to why things are noisey, hard to say. Toilet fill valves are notorious for making some noise that is sometimes hard to find and attributed to other things. Try shutting the supply off to them. A loose washer can cause noises, but water has to be flowing over it.

A pressure reduction valve or check valve after the water meter can cause noise, if you have one.

Check your incoming water pressure, having that exceptionally high can be a source of problems some times, too.

JCR

Reaction score
Already shut off all the valves to the toilets. not the problem. only thing that stops the noise is shutting off the hot water supply, so not related to cold water anywhere as far as I can tell. but it occurs with both cold and hot water when hot water valve is on. this seems real odd to me but don't know enough about how plumbing works. am trying to learn more so i can pinpoint the problem and determine if its something i can fix or if need to get outside help. interesting that the pressure balance valve shuts off both cold and hot because it may be related to something loose in the valve at that shower faucet given that all other cold water faucets and toilets do not create the noise when hot water intake is off. thats my logic---but do I have to take out the tiles in the shower to check this out---or not. had a plumber tell me I needed to demo my other shower to replace the stems in the bathtup faucets when the hot water would not turn off, this is pricey, did it myself by getting a 2 dollar wrench to take the stem out and replacing the washers. works fine now.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Usually the only thing thatneeds service (not to fix an install problem) on a shower valve is the cartridge, which can be accessed by removing the trim plate. Normally, no further destruction is required.

So you have heat traps installed on the hot water heater? Are they installed properly? Is the valve going to the hot water heater a full-port valve? If the wrong kind of valve is used as a shut-off, it could be vibrating when water is run.

The tub and washing machine are the two biggest volume water users in the typical house. Does it matter when the volume is changed, or does it only occur with a particular volume?

JCR

Reaction score
Thanks, will look into the heat traps. volume doesn't matter, any amount of water after it's shut off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks