Bath drain stub out too high

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
Is there a shallow, non standard or reversible trap that will free up 1 1/2" or so?

Attachments

• 16078749918926764198532425312381.jpg
    16078749918926764198532425312381.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 177

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there a shallow, non standard or reversible trap that will free up 1 1/2" or so?
I don't know the dimensions, but try reversing the one you have.

Be prepared to cut the tailpiece.

reverse-p-trap-install.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
Thank you.
Height wise, that would work but aren't these engineered for specific installation?
Cutting is not a problem.

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
This may be redundant.
That would work but aren't traps engineered for specific installation?
What dimensions would you need?
Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
Outstanding!!
I got into this dilemma by trying to gain a little more space in the cabinet.
The vanity is on legs with drawers between the floor and the cabin.
Thanks again for your expertise.
Just read comment on MAR 29, 2019 by Terr

Reach4

Reaction score
I got into this dilemma by trying to gain a little more space in the cabinet.
The vanity is on legs with drawers between the floor and the cabin.
You successfully avoided what some others had to deal with.

index.php

low-p-trap-cut-1.jpg

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
Yep, that would have been "frying pan to the head" city for me.
I'm actually going to need a little longer chrome, tail piece extension.
Side observation:
I'm a 73 year old, tall guy. The cabinet floor is 16" above the finished floor, the countertop is 36" tall and the sink bottom is 9" below bottom side of counter. How in the heck would a real plumber/contortionist, install or replace a faucet without removing the sink or pulling the vanity away from the wall? Maybe make a raised platform about 4 feet long and lie on your back? Definitely a T&M job.
Yep, just read "reversible". No problem, the US Army taught me humility.

Attachments

• 16078791626265300459239289824281.jpg
    16078791626265300459239289824281.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 170

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
Learned something today that all/most plumbers know : i installed drain stub out a little too high but by having a reversible trap, I was able to drop the trap low enough to connect to tail.
However, being very anal, I installed S/O on center of sink that prevents the pop up rod from lowering completely before hitting wall bend. Need another 1/2". Most likely I can make two bends and hopefully connect higher up on the rod. Knew I should have bought push pop up drains.

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
Turned pivot bar and inlet about 1/2" off center and surprisingly no rubbing noise or torquing and drain seals nicely.
Noticed that tail piece is off about 3/16" and isn't plumb. If I loosen mack nut and lower tapered gasket enough to plumb up tailpiece and tighten back up, do you think the putty will retain seal or after snuggling up the putty is too thin?
I know, always best to go back to square one and a complete redo. Another of life's lessons.

Attachments

• 16079804459733613086308000727644.jpg
    16079804459733613086308000727644.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 180

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are saying the metal is hitting the white, you can cut that metal shorter. You could even just bend the part below to the side (into an L) to not hit the white plastic.

I think you are saying that the trap puts some force to the left or right onto the tailpiece.

Unless the U-bend is at right angle to the trap arm, you could adjust to get rid of the stress. Do you follow?

Maybe take a photo looking straight up from beneath. I hope the lens is wide enough to show the trap, trap arm, and the nut at the wall.

Last edited:

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
If you are saying the metal is hitting the white, you can cut that metal shorter. You could even just bend the part
below to the side (into an L) to not hit the white plastic.

I think you are saying that the trap puts some force to the left or right onto the tailpiece.

Unless the U-bend is at right angle to the trap arm, you could adjust to get rid of the stress. Do you follow?

Maybe take a photo looking straight up from beneath. I hope the lens is wide enough to show the trap, trap arm, and the nut at the wall.

Before photo was taken, the bar was at a right angle to inlet and by cutting the strap just below strap hole, still was not low enough. Photo, poorly, shows bar turned slightly to left of tail, allowing it to be lowered 3/8"-1/2" and stopper now seals fully. No leaks but I noticed the tail piece is out of plumb 3/8". Should I redo or since it's not leaking, let it go. I have that disease that needs every thing plumb, square, level, centered, etc. Thus, my projects move sloooowly. Hard to kick after 73 years on this planet.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are saying that the pop-up drain works fine now, good. I don't know what an S/O is, but that's ok.

This picture with the pop-up actuator shown is a different sink than the one in post #8, right?

No leaks but I noticed the tail piece is out of plumb 3/8".
Unless the U-bend is at a right angle to the trap arm, you could adjust to get rid of the stress. Do you follow the bit about the right angle?

In other words, imagine the possible locations of the center of the left side of the trap as an arc. Is the centerline of that tailpiece farther left than any point on that arc?

If so, you could consider a slight bend in the trap arm on the way to the U-bend. You could also think of something that would jog the tailpiece a bit.

To make a bend/elbow, cut a "double offset" tube. Put the cut end into your trap adapter, and put the p-trap trap arm into the other.

index.php

That should give a more compact elbow than one of these:
white-everbilt-drains-drain-parts-c9665-64_145.jpg

Another way to go would be to jog the tailpiece if you have enough vert

Last edited:

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
I like the idea of modifying the trap arm. Much more professional than turning the tailpiece to accommodate poor planning. Yes, the photo is for the second sink, which was offset because a stud was centered on the sink.
The trap arm is in straight line with the trap.
I abbrev the (S/O) stub out.
I did find a plastic. double offset tube to match.
Thank you for your insight and expertise.
BTW, I moved down to NC from Glen Ellyn, IL in 2015. Don't miss the winters.

Reach4

Reaction score
The trap arm is in straight line with the trap.
If that is the one with the stress, you just need to push the trap arm in or out a tad. All stress gone. If the trap arm is too short to pull out, get a new trap.

I guess it was the first one with the stress. If it is the second one, super easy.

I just made a picture of how to turn a double offset into a jog for a tailpiece. I don't think it would help you, but I will post it now in case somebody wants it later.

Attachments

• Double_Offset_Jog.png
    Double_Offset_Jog.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
Hopefully photo is attached.
As you can see, trap is in straight plane with trap arm. I would need a trap that is 3 inches wider.

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
Sorry, not sure why, but
" file is too long " and won't upload.
I don't n't think I can do anything without an offset of sorts and the trap arm would be my choice.
I tried to upload photo looking up but wouldn't take.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks