Bath and shower layout too unconventional?

Users who are viewing this thread

phillykitty

Reaction score
Hi there,
Hope someone out there can help me with this odd dilemma.

I am in the early stages of building a bathroom on the third floor of my house. There was no plumbing
up there before so I am starting with a blank slate.

My original plan was to have a walk-in shower but I have been convinced that I should have a tub/shower combo instead
for future resale value.

The waste lines are only partly roughed in. Supply lines haven't been done yet.

The dimensions of the room are approximately 6' x 10'.

In my original configuration I was planning on having a 5' x 3' walk in shower using a shower pan with an off-set
drain. In order to avoid running the drain line perpendicularly through 3 or 4 joists I had decided to have the shower head and hardware at
the opposite side of the drain. Since there is also a window at the drain end of the shower I won't be able to put the
shower head there anyway. I am planning on tiling the window figuring it will be far enough away from the shower to be problematic.

The long wall is plaster over brick so nowhere to hide plumbing inside the wall.

I can't move the shower/tub to the other end of the room as I am worried about structural issues and the other end of the room would put the weight of the tub close to the stairwell and there is already some sagging going on in that corner of the room--I live in a 100+ year-old brick row house.

I don't want to drop the ceiling in the room below the future bathroom in order to run the plumbing below the joists.

Ok so now if I want to put a tub in that same location and also avoid going through the joists then I will have to have
the tub filler at the opposite end from the shower head (using a Hansgrohe Raindance shower pipe with exposed thermostatic valve) but the tub filler will
be on the same side as the drain. And I am probably going to go with a Kohler 5' x 32" cast iron tub.

Am I crazy to even consider doing this? Will it look like total a** or just be a little unconventional?

The other problem with this configuration is that the only way to access the tub drain will be through the soffit in the room below.

Thanks in advance for any input. I hope my description is not too confusing.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Hi there,
Hope someone out there can help me with this odd dilemma.

I am in the early stages of building a bathroom on the third floor of my house. There was no plumbing
up there before so I am starting with a blank slate.

My original plan was to have a walk-in shower but I have been convinced that I should have a tub/shower combo instead
for future resale value.

The waste lines are only partly roughed in. Supply lines haven't been done yet.

The dimensions of the room are approximately 6' x 10'.

In my original configuration I was planning on having a 5' x 3' walk in shower using a shower pan with an off-set
drain. In order to avoid running the drain line perpendicularly through 3 or 4 joists I had decided to have the shower head and hardware at
the opposite side of the drain. Since there is also a window at the drain end of the shower I won't be able to put the
shower head there anyway. I am planning on tiling the window figuring it will be far enough away from the shower to be problematic.

The long wall is plaster over brick so nowhere to hide plumbing inside the wall.

I can't move the shower/tub to the other end of the room as I am worried about structural issues and the other end of the room would put the weight of the tub close to the stairwell and there is already some sagging going on in that corner of the room--I live in a 100+ year-old brick row house.

I don't want to drop the ceiling in the room below the future bathroom in order to run the plumbing below the joists.

Ok so now if I want to put a tub in that same location and also avoid going through the joists then I will have to have
the tub filler at the opposite end from the shower head (using a Hansgrohe Raindance shower pipe with exposed thermostatic valve) but the tub filler will
be on the same side as the drain. And I am probably going to go with a Kohler 5' x 32" cast iron tub.

Am I crazy to even consider doing this? Will it look like total a** or just be a little unconventional?

The other problem with this configuration is that the only way to access the tub drain will be through the soffit in the room below.

Thanks in advance for any input. I hope my description is not too confusing.

Have you inspected the framing of this new space? Many attics where not designed to be anything other than storage space.

Before you get to far along an inspection of the subfloor is a wise idea. Pull it up and check what your up against.

JW

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF this is intended to be a DIY project, you are in over your head. From your description, it appears that the shower head will be BEHIND you when you turn on the water, which would be a VERY bad idea, especially if you have to turn around when you want to adjust the water.

phillykitty

Reaction score
IF this is intended to be a DIY project, you are in over your head. From your description, it appears that the shower head will be BEHIND you when you turn on the water, which would be a VERY bad idea, especially if you have to turn around when you want to adjust the water.

Well, no, the tub filler and shower pole would be at opposite ends so two different supplies. The shower pole has its own thermostatic valve and volume control, all external so I wouldn't have water hitting me in the back when I turned on the water.

phillykitty

Reaction score
Have you inspected the framing of this new space? Many attics where not designed to be anything other than storage space.

Before you get to far along an inspection of the subfloor is a wise idea. Pull it up and check what your up against.

JW

Hey John, the subfloor is up already and someone back in the day got over zealous with notching joists for the radiators. I will have to
sister all the joists that will support the tub.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Open up the floor and take a peak. You won't know enough until you give the entire area an inspection.

You might be doing a lot more than sistering a few joists.

Lets see some more.

JW

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks