Basment Bath Plan Opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Steelbuster

Reaction score
Basement Bath Plan

I'm getting ready to install a lav/shower/WC in my basement and have a plan of attack but I'm a DIYer and would like another opinion (or suggestions)

Installation is in the lower level corner of the house with an on grade slab. The house has only a 2" vent for the whole system now, soooo, I intend to run a 3" wet vent for this setup with the 3" vent going up and out from the Lav. Lav in the corner, shower drain wyed into the main 3ft away down the main (the shower trap arm is 2"}, another 3ft to WC, then on to existing 3" drain. (3" for everything except the shower trap to 3" main}.
Is this OK?

Second question... I need to exit the house horisontally about 6 ft above the floor and run the 3" vent up the outside of the house to above the "flat roof" line. This will expose about 12' to 14' of PVC to the Minnesota cold.
Will I have trouble freezing up this vent in the winter?

Last edited:

Jrejre

Reaction score
Why are you running the PVC so high up? Can't you just use a one-way vent? I'm in MN too and have one of these that exits the basement and us up about 3' from the ground. It's also in a pretty protected area that is not prone to drifting in the winter - so it never gets covered up.

Seems to work fine. I'm a DIYer too. Not sure it meets code, but where it is they county/town does not do inspections on plumbing - except septic and well upon sale/transfer.

Steelbuster

Reaction score
I have several windows close by...Code says they can't be closer than 10ft horizontally... Code or not my nose wouldn't like it anyway. :p ..But thanks for the reply on freezing up..I only asked that 'cause the existing 2" roof top vent will freezeover in very cold weather.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks