Basic DWV Sketch

Users who are viewing this thread

Greg Pizzola

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking to add a Saniflo system in basement. Based on the responses I received in my other threads I'm going to run a new vent up alongside the main and tie in before the roof. I sketched out a basic DWV system. Everything except the main will be added. Am I on the right track with this sketch?

Thanks for all the assistance from this forum! You all rock!

Attachments

• 20160220_085808.jpg
    20160220_085808.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 246

Greg Pizzola

Reaction score
Here is the access I have to the main and where it is in a second floor closet

Attachments

• 20160219_011115.jpg
    20160219_011115.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 261
  • 20160219_200041.jpg
    20160219_200041.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 237
  • 20160219_201606.jpg
    20160219_201606.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 248

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why do you need the pump if the main drain is below the basement floor level? In basements the main drain often goes out to the street above floor level and a pump is required. I would cut the floor to expose the drain to see exactly what you got to work with. It looks like you have a good place to run the vent.

Greg Pizzola

Reaction score
I got a quote from my plumber to rough in the basement bathroom for $3000. To avoid that cost my plan is to put in a Saniflo myself for around $1000. I know the best and most inexpensive option would be to dig and rough in myself. But as a DIYer if something goes wrong at least it's all above ground.

Also, having never cut into cast before and working with an original 1950's sewer line. I imagine my cut into the sewer would be more of a crush/crumble rather than a clean cut.

So yeah, I'm trying to think ahead and avoid all of the above.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I looked into this years ago and the main things that turned me off is that you have to use a saniflow toilet, which looks like a toy IMO, and the fact that the shower has to be built on a raised platform to accomodate a proper trap, and then, to hide the trap arm to macerator connection. It would take a lot of work to keep it from looking like a hack job when comparing it to a "real" bathroom installation.

There are advantages to an above-ground sewer connection, but I would cut the floor and pipe in to a real ejector pit and pump system before I would consider the Saniflow.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could always put a cut-off wheel in an angle grinder and cut the cast iron pipe instead of using a snap cutter.

$3000 is not that bad. There is a lot of work involved if he cuts the concrete, does all the rough-in for the drains and vents, puts the concrete back etc. With adding the pump, special toilet and raising the floor it is probally about the same but I think gravity flow is better. I would pay a little extra not to have a pump and not to have to put it in myself. Wow it is starting to sound really cheap.

If you are determined to do a pump, you still need to vent the sink and the shower. It will be an easy add on to what you got.

Last edited:

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Ask the plumber how much he would knock off if you were to bust up the concrete floor and repair it afterward; that's work well within the realm of any do-it-yourselfer. Like folks have said, showers on raised platforms scream out "Hack!" to most potential purchasers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks