Basement utility sink & washer plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeCO

Reaction score
I would like to add a laundry utility sink to our basement (under the window in the picture) along with connections for a washer/dryer (to the left of the sink) and wanted to check on my plan here. The vertical stack that you see in the picture goes up to a kitchen sink. It wouldn't be easy to run a new vent or tap into the kitchen vent higher up without taking apart a lot of the kitchen wall, so I would want to use an AAV. I have easy access to hot & cold water lines that run across the top of the picture.

I think what I would want to do is:
  • Cut out a section of the stack, and use two shielded couplings and a (sanitary tee or wye?) to connect to a waste arm
  • Put an AAV somewhere between the P-trap and the stack (using a regular tee)
Does this sound right? It is all unfinished and would always stay unfinished, so whatever is best and easiest is what I would go with. A few other questions I had:
  • Is it better to do a separate standpipe for the washer or should I just plan to have the washer drain into the sink?
  • I think the stack is 2" cast iron so I will want 2" PVC drain pipe correct?
Thanks for the help

IMG_7815.JPG

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you'll need to dump washer into a sink. as a separate standpipe, a sink , plus whatever else above wont get past your plumbing code. due to pipe size not big enough

MikeCO

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing this out @Jeff H Young. A single kitchen sink above is the only other fixture, but in this case, I don't think that factors into this.

It seems like this part of the code will be relevant: "The fixture drain for the standpipe serving an automatic clothes washer shall connect to a 3-inch (76 mm) or larger diameter fixture branch or stack." (IPC 2015 406.2)

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing this out @Jeff H Young. A single kitchen sink above is the only other fixture, but in this case, I don't think that factors into this.

It seems like this part of the code will be relevant: "The fixture drain for the standpipe serving an automatic clothes washer shall connect to a 3-inch (76 mm) or larger diameter fixture branch or stack." (IPC 2015 406.2)
but if there is no standpipe for a washing machine and machine instead dumps into a sink I think you would be ok .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks