Basement utility sink pump downstream from vented upper level drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Renodread

Reaction score
Hi, I am in the process of adding a basement utility sink and I would greatly appreciate if someone could sanity check my drain plans. There is an existing upper level kitchen sink on a 2" vented drain that drops down into the basement with about 20ft of horizontal which taps into the main 3" which runs out to the septic. The no trap/no vent utility sink pump will discharge into a 1-1/4" 6' vertical and about 10' horizontal and then tee into the 2" downstream of the kitchen sink. My logic is that this is downstream of the vent so there is no risk of clearing the kitchen trap. Is this correct?

Attached is a diagram of the proposed layout.

Thank you.

plumbing.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
ultimately it comes down the the gallons per minute of discharge that the pump will produce. If it puts out less than the pipe its receiving is designed to carry on a horizontal position, then it shouldn't put any vacuum on the trap of the sink above.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
What model pump will you be using?

From the sewer connection to the pump the pipe seems that it will be dry when the pump shuts off. You may need a check valve at the discharge of the pump to prevent the water from backing up. That will keep water in the raiser pipe.
s water enters the basin to be pumped, air had to be displaced and replaced as the water is pumped out. How is this accomplished.

Renodread

Reaction score
The pump (Everbilt LTS250A) is rated at 22GPM and the discharge line has a check valve below sink level. Pump literature claims no vent needed.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
22gpm in the UPC chart 702.2 for intermittent flow indicates that would be the equivalent of 4 Drainage Fixture Units (DFU)

2" horizontal pipe that is properly sloped has a capacity of up to 8 DFU's. A kitchen sink counts as 2 DFU's which would be a total of 6 of the 8 on that 2" drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks