Basement Utility Sink Install

Users who are viewing this thread

PeTACERAS

Reaction score
Hi,
My wife and I just moved into new construction and would like to install a utility sink to the left of our washer. Running new water lines is straight forward. I'm curious to know the best way to run the drain pipe and connect to the vent per the photos below.

My initial thought was to run the drain parallel to and in front of our existing drain, connecting the utility sink drain to the main drain after the existing vent. Venting would be run from the the new drain to the existing venting, connecting higher than the start of the washer drain @ 44". The image below shows my initial thoughts. I am curious to know if this is the correct approach or if there's something easier.

new_venting.jpg

Below is an image of what we presently have in our basement and where we'd like to put the sink. For what it's worth...
1. The computer equipment at the top of the image is moving. I'm not concerned about that or any other electrical changes that might need to be done.
2. Wall behind the washer/dryer is part of a walk-out basement. It is dry walled and insulated. We don't ever plan on putting drywall over this area to further "finish" the basement.
3. There's ample room behind the washer/dryer for us to run the new drain pipe parallel to the existing drain pipe as shown in the diagram above.
4. The existing drain is low enough to the ground such that we should be able to have a continuous downward slope from the drain of the utility sink to anywhere we connect to on the existing drain.
IMG_3459.JPG

Any info, considerations, and thoughts are welcome.
Thanks in advance!

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. I think your plan is good, with a couple of things to consider. You want the right fitting for hooking the vent to the trap arm. A combo with the vent curving to the right on the way down, would be great, but may be overkill. The other factor is if you should put in a cleanout.

I also suspect that you could put the lines all in the same plane. This would mean moving the standpipe trap up a bit, and the drain for the new sink would pass under a santee that the standpipe trap feeds into. Having the pipes in the same plane would let the washer sit back farther.

That drain line carrying the standpipe output should be 2 inch. For new construction, I expect that is already the case.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks