basement toilet vent sizing - WI

Users who are viewing this thread

reicjm26

Reaction score
I live in Northeast WI and am working on putting in a basement bathroom. I have the slab busted out and i'm ready to tie in to my waste line underneath. I have located the vents that I plan to tie into for the bathtub and sink, but I am still unsure when it comes to the toilet. Right now I was planning on venting the toilet by connecting into the vent for my floor drain. The vent pipe is 1 1/2" and i'm not sure if that would be sufficient. The floor drain and the toilet would be the only items using this vent...not sure if that makes a difference. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

NOTE: this bathroom is directly under the guest bathroom on the main floor. It appears that the 1st floor toilet is vented with a 2" wet vent through the sink drain. The shower has its own 1 1/2" vent pipe that must meet in the attic and I plan to vent my sink and tub by tying into this vent

reicjm26

Reaction score
follow up ?

Or would it be a better Idea to use a 2" vent for the toilet with an AAV or Studor vent that would be located in a storage area adjacent to the bathroom???

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You would have to check the Wisconsin Plumbing Code to see what size vent is allowed and wether or not AAV's are allowed. Most of us plumbers here do not care for using AAV's.

reicjm26

Reaction score
i get that feeling

I tend to get that feeling about the studor vents. There are just limited options. It is either tie into a 1 1/2" vent or use a studor.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

If I had the choice between an AAV or a 1 1/2" vent, I would opt for the 1 1/2". Once you get past the theoretical reason for a 2" vent, you will find that a 1 1/2" is adequate, if for no other reason than that even that is much larger than the AAV air inlet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks