Basement sump discharge and vent ?

Users who are viewing this thread

jfb

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for any advice. I would like to know if the 2" pipe with a 2 x2 x 1 1/2 tee is the normal way of connecting the discharge from a grinder pump (pipe on left of photo) going to pipe #1 which rises above aprox 7 feet to the main soil pipe (not shown ). The vent pipe (pipe #2 on right ) I believe is a dedicated vent that goes to the roof. My question is, should I separate the two pipes at the tee, and run the vent pipe direct to the sump can, and separate the discharge (pipe # 1 on left) and pipe direct to the pump discharge? Will it work with sewer slurry ( that would stand in the pipes due to the check valve) as shown? It would seem that, as shown, it would create a large trap up to the level of the main soil pipe. Also, the vent pipe (on right) has one inch of slope toward the vent side, that seems odd to me? Another thought is, was the tee just a method of being able to test the rough in piping prior to making the final connections to the sump? The house was built in 2005 and is located in NC.
Thanks

Attachments

• BasementSump.jpg
    BasementSump.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,144
Last edited:

Theodore

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber but... I know enough to say that cannot be right. The discharge should not have a CHOICE of which pipe to go to. Vent needs to be dedicated, open air to sump pit. Discharge needs to be dedicated as well. Look up "sump vent diagram" on google and it'll give plenty of examples, none of which match the layout you inhereted.

jfb

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber but... I know enough to say that cannot be right. The discharge should not have a CHOICE of which pipe to go to. Vent needs to be dedicated, open air to sump pit. Discharge needs to be dedicated as well. Look up "sump vent diagram" on google and it'll give plenty of examples, none of which match the layout you inhereted.
I am not a plumber ither, HVAC tech.. I. Am hoping some of the pros will comment with what needs to be done. I appreicated the reply. Thanks

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Sorry - still not a "pro" response. I agree with Theodore, you can't send the sewage into the vent line.

There should be a Vent connection on the "basin" housing. Can you provide the make/model of the grinder/pump and or a picture of the basin?
Does the sump basin housing have a connection for a vent (like below)?

912-0005-1.jpg

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is not normal and makes absolutely no sense.
Is the pit for sewage or just ground water? Are you on septic or city water?

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect we have a seepage / ground water sump. Now are there two exits? Maybe one pipe drains where the outlet could freeze closed, and the other is to another spot such as a dry sump?

So I also suspect this is a Zoeller sump pump, although Zoeller does make grinder pumps too.

So not standard, but not necessarily bad like a sewage grinder with this configuration would be.

IMG_7.png

jfb

Reaction score
I suspect we have a seepage / ground water sump. Now are there two exits? Maybe one pipe drains where the outlet could freeze closed, and the other is to another spot such as a dry sump?

So I also suspect this is a Zoeller sump pump, although Zoeller does make grinder pumps too.

So not standard, but not necessarily bad like a sewage grinder with this configuration would be.

View attachment 35700
Thanks for all the replys, appreciated. It is indeed a Zoller 915 grinder sewage pump. I have used it for water sink drains and with water only, it works, but will add two commodes soon. All the plumbing was in place, except for the zoller, i added that, and just want to be sure it will work with sewage. Does anyone know if as shown was just for testing?? So, I should cut out the tee, bring the vent to the can lid, and tie the discharge direct to the left pipe tied to the main soil pipe?

M

jfb

Reaction score
One additional item, it is on a septic system.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A sewage ejector system has a 2" discharge into either a 3" or a 4" line. Many inspectors want the 4" line.
It is plumbed with waste fittings, not water fittings. You should have a wye where it meets the main line, which will be at least 3".
There is also a 2" vent for the pump.
Any plumbing going to the sump with pump, will be plumbed with venting before it goes to the sump.
The sump basin needs an air tight lid.

zoeller-instructions.jpg

Last edited:

jfb

Reaction score
One additional item, it is on a septic system.
Also, all comments are appreicated, pro or any others, no offence ment to anyone's knowledge, I know enough to be dangerous at times :)

jfb

Reaction score
A sewage ejector system has a 2" discharge into either a 3" or a 4" line. Many inspectors want the 4" line.
It is plumbed with waste fittings, not water fittings. You should have a wye where it meets the main line, which will be at least 3".
There is also a 2" vent for the pump.
Any plumbing going to the sump with pump, will bplumbed with venting before it goes to the sump.
The sump basin needs an air tight lid.
Thanks Terry,
What is in place and passed plumbing inspection In 2006, is the 2" discharge pipe on left, that does tie into the 4" MAIN soil pipe. The Zoller 915 came standard with 1 1/4 discharge pipe. The 2" vent pipe on right does appears to run direct to roof vent. I do not know if it's correct, was just for plumbing test purposes, or just needs to be changed. That is the reason I posted for advice. Thanks

CountryBumkin

Reaction score

jfb

Reaction score
I'm not sure what kind of basin your pump is sitting in. Does it have a lid?

If not, the best fix may be to buy the correct basin, then pipe the vent to the basin lid and the sewage to the main soil pipe. See this link for the basin size for your pump http://www.zoellerpumps.com/en-ea/product/577-915-shark-series-grinder-package

And basins http://www.zoellerpumps.com/en-ea/distributor/sitesearch?search=Basin
I'm not sure what kind of basin your pump is sitting in. Does it have a lid?

If not, the best fix may be to buy the correct basin, then pipe the vent to the basin lid and the sewage to the main soil pipe. See this link for the basin size for your pump http://www.zoellerpumps.com/en-ea/product/577-915-shark-series-grinder-package

And basins http://www.zoellerpumps.com/en-ea/distributor/sitesearch?search=Basin

jfb

Reaction score
When I bought the pump, bought the tank as package, same as the existing one, so I have the proper lid and all seals. I hope bringing the vent to the lid, and tying the left pipe to the discharge of the pump is what I am hearing that I should do? Thanks for your help CB.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks