Basement Soil and Vent Pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

ddegentesh

Reaction score
I (DIYer) am in the process of planning to remodel my 1986-built home in Pennsylvania. When the house was built, some advance work was done in anticipation of having a toilet and lav, as there's some plumbing in place already. There's a 4" elbow for the toilet, and both a 1.5 and a 2" soil pipe running along the wall which tee into the 4" about 2' down stream (I've confirmed with a camera). In the floor above, the 1.5" pipe has a sink, and the 2" pipe drains the washing machine, and that's it. The 2" pipe vents through the roof and I assume the 1.5" vents into it. Sketch:

tl1.jpg

I would like to do three things, and I have naieve questions:

1: I want to put a lav and connect it to either the 1.5 (preferably) or 2" pipes. Is this what I do? Do I need the vent section? If not, what is the right thing to do here?

2017-02-04_102133.png

2) Sadly, I need to move the toilet a few inches. If I can squeeze in a 45 here, is that alright? If not, is a 22.5 acceptable?

tl3.png

3. In the other corner is a 3" soil stack (in blue, below). I want to drain a kitchenette sink into it. I know there are toilets that drain into this stack, so I don't think it can be used for wet venting. correct? So my best bet is to run a vent pipe from the sink over to the 1.5 or 2" pipes shown above?
tl4.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Wet venting is for the same floor, and only bathroom groups.
You can't use the floor above as venting. Any vents below would tie in at 42" above the next floor up.

dwv_b1.jpg

As I see your drawing, the basement toilet isn't vented properly. There should have been a vent before the washer drained into it.
Any fixtures downstairs should have vents before entering any of the waste stacks.

ddegentesh

Reaction score
Terry,

I could move the laundry onto the 1.5" line and the downstairs lav to the 2" line. Would that do it? Or is the venting for the toilet still wrong? Keep in mind I am guessing about how the 1.5 and 2" are shown joined below the slab. I know they both drain into the 4", and I know there is only one wye in the 4" by camera inspection.

Is 1.5" too small for laundry + sink?

2017-02-04_110807.png

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Considering your in Pennsylvania I would seriously consider increasing the vent though the roof to 4" diameter to prevent hoarfrost

I also use 11/2 waste line for basins and all other fixtures including bathtubs I use 2" as snaking a 11/2" line can be very challenging when people use PVC Ells rather then a No hub Sweep

sylvan-snaking-01.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Anywhere that a pipe is serving as the drain for a fixture, that pipe can not serve as the vent for another fixture.
It may be easier to understand if I were to say that a vent is a dry pipe.

A laundry standpipe and trap must be 2".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks