Basement Sink Back Up/ Improper plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

usklx77

Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker and first time poster here. Bought our house and didn't see how poorly set up the basement sink was, nor did our home inspector. (Would it be the home inspectors job to point out the plumbing issues?)

When we flush the toilet on the ground level, the basement sink often backs up with feces and toilet paper. The quick remedy has been to plunge the sink to clear the obstruction in the line and that solves the issue for a few more days. I've checked the clean out on the exterior of the house while flushing the toilet and see that the water flows smoothly. This leads me to believe that the clog is on the interior of the house.

If I were to buy a 50 FT electric snake with 1/2" attachment, could I pull the plumbing connection and snake it? The old owner rigged up the basement sink directly to the basement clean out pipe in a non professional way. Could this be the problem? The pipe cover(?) was unthreaded and the sink plumbing pipe was attached directly to the drain line with a fernco coupling.

I believe this was done so the laundry machine could have someplace to drain into.

But better yet, how can I properly fix this and to code? I'm getting really frustrated with my first home and finding all the shortcuts that the old owner took.

Attachments

• IMG_20200413_162025.jpg
    IMG_20200413_162025.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 155

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It looks to me that they removed the cleanout on the bottom fitting and stuck a pipe in there for the laundry tray.
The poop comes down the pipe and spreads both ways. I think a better solution would be to get a laundry pump to run the washer to and pump that higher up the wall into the the waste line.

Normally you would have a proper combo or wye fitting at the base of that stack directing waste away. There would be a vent for the washer/laundry sink between the p-trap and where it enters the rest of the plumbing to prevent trap siphoning.

usklx77

Reaction score
Hi Terry, thanks for the quick reply! In response to your solution, would it be possible to run a wye fitting to prevent the sewage from backing up instead of going the pump route since this would presumably be the cheaper alternative? If we put the wye fitting, would I add an AAV between the fitting and the p trap?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks