Basement shower instead of roughed in tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Curtin

Reaction score
Hi,
The builder roughed in a full bath in the basement, but setup it up for a tub instead of a shower. We want a shower with a center drain. Is it okay to use a wye and a 90 to connect the shower drain to where the tub used to be? Or a pair of 45's?
I know we need to remove the p-trap under the vertical pipe on the right, and use it as a vent. The vertical pipe on the left is a vent with no p-trap. Both vents will be tied into the ejector pit vent that is in the ceiling above this room.
I've confirmed the pipe under the floor where the wye is placed is 2"
Thanks Chris

IMG_5710_small.JPG

Chris Curtin

Reaction score
Maybe some more information to get some advice?

The shower drain will be at the bottom of the picture where we excavated, and I want to connect it to where I have the 90.
From the 90 it will flow to the wye and down to the ejector pit, you can see the sharpie mark on the concrete where the 2" pipe is already encased.

The other end of the wye would go to the vertical pipe on the right as a vent only. That pipe has a p-trap in it since it was supposed to be for a tub, and we want the shower so we'll remove the p-trap.

Is this okay? Or does that 90 need to be a pair of 45s? Is the vent idea correct?
Thanks
Chris

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You would cut the p trap out and use a long sweep 90 or a pair of 45's to get to your drain location. The 90 you have laying in the picture isn't right. The distance from the vent to the trap is limited by the code. How long will this be? I think Georgia is ipc and limited to 8' from the vent to the trap.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
your wye can't lay flat and dry vent the shower you said vert. pipe on right is a vent only and the wye will run over to it. the 90 on side wont fly on side needs a long sweep as John stated

Chris Curtin

Reaction score
Thanks.
Does this mean the vent on the right goes away since I'd make a long sweep 90 or pair of 45's as one continuous pipe from the shower?
The vent for the whole bathroom is the pipe on the left. The toilet is just outside of the picture on the left. No other pipes currently.

Would I still be able to use the vent on the left as the drain for the sink? (and of course vent it up to the ceiling and out the vent the builder provided.)

The shower p-trap would be 36" from the wall.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
why cant you dig down and change the santee for the tub to a 2 x 1.5x 2 santee ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks