Basement shower ideas

Users who are viewing this thread

Jona77

Reaction score
Hi,

I am definitely adding a toilet and sink bathroom to my basement and I'm toying with the idea of adding a shower.

My waste pipe discharges just above slab level and I plan to use a sanishower or similar lift pump

Is there any low profile trap options to keep the shower as low as possible? If not how far would I have to go into the concrete just to fit the bottom of a ptrap? How much space do you typically need under a shower base?

Does something like this work? is there a reliable manufacturer of such things?
https://www.amazon.ca/Shower-P-Trap...ocphy=1002150&hvtargid=pla-556771799482&psc=1

I understand it all depends on my shower selection ETC but concrete to bottom of joists is 85" minus approximately 1" of flooring/subfloor that will be going in and I'd rather not put a giant 2x8 base if I can avoid it as head room becomes a problem quickly! I haven't selected a shower kit yet.

Jona77

Reaction score
6" into concrete or 6" shower riser?

I am in an area with relatively high water table - will breaking my slab for a p-trap create potential flooding issues?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
"relatively High water table" Relative to what? obviously if its high to your floor then you got a problem.

Jona77

Reaction score
"relatively High water table" Relative to what? obviously if its high to your floor then you got a problem.

I used my brain and realized if it's lower in the sump pump pit than the floor (which it always is) it will be OK. I will be going the route of digging a small hole or chipping away some for the bottom of the trap to fit.

I'm not sure how much clearance will be below the shower drain or how far down the actual drain will go before I can connect the trap - also I'm not sure how high a 2" p-trap is but I'm hoping I can just put the shower base on a 2x4 platform and go into the concrete for the trap. Not sure how I'll go about this I can't find much info online

Jona77

Reaction score
as long as trap arm is below the floor youll be able to hook up drain

That won't be possible in my case, the only thing I want under the floor is the bottom portion of the trap - as I'm using a lift pump which will be on top of the floor the drain will need to flow into that

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This is one of the shallowest p-traps. It's designed for a conventional tiled shower with a pvc liner as it's a clamping drain. If you are planning a receptor, that wouldn't work. Europe has a bunch of really shallow shower drains, but they're metric sized and even with adapters, probably wouldn't meet out plumbing codes here. Probably first thing is to decide if you're going with a receptor, or want to build a tiled shower. If a tiled shower, then the shallowest buildup would be one made with a surface applied membrane, as then, you only need one sloped layer...a conventional shower with a liner requires two layers. Wedi has a really shallow drain/trap assembly that's only 40mm tall, but I'm not sure if that model meets Canadian specs. It's designed to install in their tileable foam-core panels. That system may supply one of the shallowest systems if it's legal there. When I put in NS, it comes up with this guy as the service rep
wedi Corp
Regional Sales Manager USA East
Tim Risbon
Tel.: +1 877-933-WEDI (9334)
Fax: +1 847-357-9819
Mobile: +1 256-665-6438
Email: tim.risbon@wedicorp.com
You could contact them
Zurn p-trap.jpg
soluzione-piatto-doccia_en.jpg
Zurn p-trap.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks