Basement shower drain to toilet?? Some advice please before I JACKHAMMER!

Users who are viewing this thread

delta_v

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm currently in the process of demolishing my basement apartment and am going to be putting in a shower where there once was a tub. In order to move the drain to the center and resize it to 2", I'll have to jackhammer up the slab. It looks like the existing 1 1/2" drain is pointing in the direction of the toilet, but the kitchen is also that way. My question is this; is it possible to have the shower drain connected below the toilet flange? I'm really hoping that I don't have to go all the way in to the kitchen where the sink drain is. That'd be a lot more floor to rip up.

Question #2;
I'm also going to be putting in a new toilet flange regardless as the one that's there is all messed up. I currently have 3"copper but am thinking that cutting it and switching to ABS will be easier than soldering the big pipe for an amateur. What type of non-solder connection can be used below grade and have concrete poured over it?
Thanks in advance!
Chris

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Answer #1
You can connect anywhere downstream of the toilet flange as long as the toilet flange is vented in some manner

Answer #2
You can use any Mechanical type connection. MJ or fernco couplings. Both are non solder connections. Fernco are more forgiving

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

You have to break the floor until you reach a spot where you can connect a 2" drain. And Fernco rubber couplings are not approved inside the building in most areas.

delta_v

Reaction score
I'll check the code requirements in my area (Toronto, Ontario). Not going to be inspected but it's good to go by the book regardless. It'll be below the slab, though. DOes that count as outside?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
I'll check the code requirements in my area (Toronto, Ontario). Not going to be inspected but it's good to go by the book regardless. It'll be below the slab, though. DOes that count as outside?
Beleive me, I'm very close to Toronto and you will be fine with what I mentioned. As a matter of fact , I worked in toronto for 20 years before I moved.

delta_v

Reaction score
In that case, any suggestion for a good plumbing supply in the West end? HD doesn't seem to have too much in the way of 3" fittings. I've got 3" copper for the toilet right now.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
In that case, any suggestion for a good plumbing supply in the West end? HD doesn't seem to have too much in the way of 3" fittings. I've got 3" copper for the toilet right now.
Judging by your description of the project, you won't be needing anything special. Being below the slab, you will probably cut on the horizontal peice, which most likely is 4" pipe (double check what size your pipes are before cutting anything)

Depending how west you live.

Nuroc plumbing supply on Rexdale Blvd between Kipling and Martingrove . I forget the number of the building.

Desco plumbing supply at 35 Wingold ave.
The head office for Desco at 65 Worchester Rd

Penmar Plumbing supply, Dundas St. 1/2 block east of Runnymede Rd.

If these at too far west, tell me what old municipaility you live in and I'll accomodate you with the closet supplier.

BTW, I'm still in the GTA, just a little further West outside of T.O.

Last edited:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm in Mimico. I'm back at work until Wednesday. i'll see if I can post some pics once I get the floor ripped up.
Nuroc is your best bet. They have everything and anything to do with plumbing. They rarely say that "it's out of stock"

delta_v

Reaction score
I'll be picking up my kerdi shower base tomorrow, figuring out the final layout and with any luck, jackhammering in the afternoon. I'd appreciate it if you folks could keep an eye out for a post in the evening if I do get it done; I'll post some pics of the existing drain setup; with any luck it'll be a simple fix, but with my luck it probably won't!

delta_v

Reaction score
Success! No nasty surprises. Everything is where I figured it'd be. now have the 3" copper exposed and have cut away the old toilet flange and 90 degree elbow and sweated off the brass fitting where the old tub drain attached. The 3" pipe is vented; I'll need to reattach that along with adding the 2" shower drain and fixing the position of the toilet. 15" from the finished side wall and 12" from the finished back wall to the centre of the pipe, right?

delta_v

Reaction score
Help!

I think I have a problem. Might not, but we'll see.
Can I use this setup?
From the top;
Toilet flange (3") on top of wye with 2" coming from the shower, 90 degree turn, wye with connection to vent, fernco to 3" copper that leads to the main sewer line.
If the shower has to be after the vent, I can change those two around. I've got some real space limitations; The old copper fittings were much shorter than the ABS!

delta_v

Reaction score
Ok. Here I go again. Done some readin'. Looks like I need the vent between the toilet and the shower. Can I use a double wye just below the toilet flange to connect both the shower drain and the vent? That'd solve my space issue!

My proposed setup is now this;
Toilet flange connected to a double wye (vent and shower drain connected here)
90 deg. elbow
Fernco
copper

FYI, I went a little further and found the sink drain (independently vented)connected to the copper which then transitions to cast iron.

Last edited:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't think the double wye placed horizontally will give you the proper fall need for both fixtures at that point.

Your measurements should be 15 1/2" from rough wall, side to center and 12 1/2" from back wall to center

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks