Basement Rough In (with drawings)!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Chienlaid

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I decided to come here and ask the experts.

We're building a new house and the foundation is almost complete and I need to do a rough in for a future bathroom and laundry room in the basement. Here is a sketch of the rough in. I want to know if this is how it's done and what needs to be revised or changed before I go ahead and do this.

The Second picture is what it's going to look like once I tie everything together. I didn't put a P-trap on the shower or sink but they will be installed when I finish the bathroom.

The other question I have is a 3" pipe big enough or should I go to 4" for the main drain to the sewage pump basin?

Oh and one more question. Should I be adding clean-outs anywhere?

Thanks guys :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Where I plumb, you would use wye fittings on the vents below grade, not the santees.
Pretty cool looking drawing though.

Washer and laundry tray rough below

washer_rough_b.jpg

Chienlaid

Reaction score
I'll make the changes to the drawings and re-post tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help.

As far as the main drain goes. 3" is big enough??

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
3" is good.

Often, the inspector will want the 2" outlet from the pump going into a 4", but you can check with him to see what he thinks.

Chienlaid

Reaction score
Here are the pictures with the proposed changes.

RoughInrevised2.jpg

I put a wye on all vents below grade. I made sure to point the wye's downstream as I read in another post.

On the second picture I plumbed the washer and laundry tub like Terry's picture.

RoughInRevised.jpg

If everything looks good I will submit this to the municipal office for they're approval and permit.

NorCalDesigner

Reaction score
You should also check to make sure your check valve can be installed vertically. Might cause some problems if you have a horizontal check installed vertically,

Chienlaid

Reaction score
You should also check to make sure your check valve can be installed vertically. Might cause some problems if you have a horizontal check installed vertically,

Yeah I noticed that on all installation instructions I've seen it tells you to have the check valve horizontal.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I used AutoCAD LT 2002. You don't want to know how long this took me! :)

But once the elements are all done it was quicker.

I stopped using fittings in Autocad LT a long time ago. Easier to just draw in isometric.
A for effort though!

Chienlaid

Reaction score
I stopped using fittings in Autocad LT a long time ago. Easier to just draw in isometric.
A for effort though!

yeah all that was done in isometric. I don't have that much experience with AutoCAD so this was a bit of a challenge.

I use it at work mostly to do electronic and wirring diagrams. I never work in Isometric

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
comments

Check valves can go horizontal or vertical. Here, the washing machine would go directly into the vertical without the additional reventing. That would only be necessary if the trap were more than 4' from the riser.

tilelayher

Reaction score
In post # 5 I see a washer drain and sink on 2" I didn't know you could put both fixtures on 1 line. Thats ok?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks