Basement Rec Room Bar Sink w/Studor valve, can I add dishwasher?

Users who are viewing this thread

BobT3354

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! Been a while since I've had a plumbing question, but knew right where to go, good old Terry Love's forum!

I've got a new (to me) house which had an existing nice rec room in the basement, with a nice bar with a formerly functioning sink that had it draining one way or another into a floor drain, which just happened to be directly under the sink, unlike everything else in this house that had been done correctly or even overdone. The hot and cold supplies are still there, capped off but ready to be reused. Not sure how they would've vented it, there are a few options for "normal venting" (i.e. running a vent pipe to connect with the vent pipes for laundry sink or vent pipe(s) for half bath in basement) but all would require a fair amount of work, but not impossible.

My plumber and I looked at it, since I definitely wanted to get the sink functioning again and running a regular drain line to the closest stack would've required using a concrete saw to cut into a concrete floor, etc so he ended up using a big Bosch Rotary Hammer and chisel and digging out around that floor drain to install what is actually a 4 inch PVC drain, ready to drain this sink (and I'm sure could handle a lot more draining too!) but as far as venting goes, he said using a studor valve is the obvious choice and with the moderate amount I know on plumbing, I agree as running a "normal" vent pipe would be a LOT more work, but as I said not impossible.

Only thing is that the more I think about it, having a dishwasher down there too would be REALLY, REALLY handy, not just for washing glasses but since this will be the "party room" where we'd be having the Super Bowl party (and here in Milwaukee where we're Packer fans, there's a good chance of that coming up in a few months, much better chances here than say, 80 miles to the south of us! Sorry I had to!) or any party, it would be handy for both glasses and dishes, but can I use a dishwasher on that studor valve/vent as well, or does that add to the venting somehow and require a regular vent pipe?

One more thing, I'd definitely be installing a garbage disposal under the sink as well, so I know you usually have the dishwasher drainage tube hook into the disposal (know that well from once forgetting to knock out the little stopper and calling the plumber to figure out why my new dishwasher wasn't draining into new disposal! DUH!) If that makes any difference here.

So, would I be able to have him LEGALLY (we are pulling permits for all of this) hook it up with a studor valve or would I need to start finding best route to run a long vent pipe?? Thanks in advance for your help!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The studor valve will work, but ideally it will be up high enough so that a minor back-up in the drain will not reach the innards of the valve.

The drain for the sink and dishwasher going into the floor needs be 2" pipe, and there should be an accessible cleanout above the point that it enters the floor.

BobT3354

Reaction score
After doing some more looking around the basement, I was able to find a good way to route a vent pipe to tie into an existing vent and sent some pics to the plumber, who's coming tomorrow and he thinks it should work out fine for installing a regular vent pipe instead of the studor valve, which he said he'd suggested prior to me deciding having a dishwasher down there would be great and I see his point where for just a bar sink if you can legally use the studor (and this is a licensed master plumber, not some Handyman Pete clown from craplist who just got done doing a bunch of illegal wiring for his last customer and now will try his hand at plumbing by my house!)

So, I feel like I'm in good hands here and the studor for the dishwasher question is now moot! Thanks for the response and he is reducing the 4 inch pvc coming out from the floor drain (that the old bar sink apparently just drained into, codes be dammed!) down to a 2 inch and already has a cleanout in the 4 inch pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks