Basement puddling during winter warm-ups

Users who are viewing this thread

pseigman

Reaction score
Hi,
We're having a problem with puddling in our basement. Our house was built in 1978 and we've lived here 2 years now. It has happened both winters - usually on warmer days (after a freeze - live in Northern Virginia). The water seaps between the basement floor and the wallboard.

We thought it was a water table issue or a drainage issue outside of the house, so we replaced our drainpipes with non-aerated ones and corrected the grading along the side of the house (for under $500). This did not resolve the problem.

I cut through the wallboard today and found that the kitchen drainpipe goes down through the floor in the same vicinity. There is a lot of mold there as well. I haven't isolated the problem but I'm thinking maybe the sewage pipe freezes and then the thawing may somehow be causing a problem.

Any thoughts on this matter on the best course of action or who the best person to call would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,
Pete

Attachments

• flooding3.JPG
    flooding3.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 355

pseigman

Reaction score
water seepage

You're exactly right! While running the water in the kitchen sink, there is a lot of dripping coming into the basement outside of the pvc pipe (somewhere further up within the wall).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks