Basement Pre-fab shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Outdoorbum

Reaction score
What is the recommended method for installing a pre-fab shower in a basement where one wall is concrete block? I don't know if I should put a kerdi building panel over the block and then anchor the shower walls to that or what would be best. The wall is generally dry, but I can only assume there's moisture in there at some point. I have contemplated putting those kerdi building panels on the block and the other studded walls, thereby creating a waterproof enclosure then placing the pre-fab in the alcove. Probably overkill since it won't be tile, but I've lived with my share of leaky shower set ups.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I'm a plumber, not a builder, but possibly you would want whatever you use to have a ventilated gap before whatever you use next.
True barrier and proper sub drainage on outside the basement wall (ie drainage mat on the wall and normal piped subterranean setup). I'm thinking for any residual interior moisture you don't want to completely trap it with a interior panel.
But maybe if you use a completely waterproof panel, then maybe it would be ok.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks