Basement Plumbing Layout advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Morlikster

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am building out my basement and looking for advice on the plumbing.

floorplan marked up.png

Below are some images of my layout and how i intend to handle the drainage and venting.
20220704_130312.jpg

Main 3" waste line I plan to tap into this with a Wye and a 45 to new 3" section along the wet wall.

20220704_130320.jpg

cutout about 4 feet over for the kitchen drain. I plan to use a 3" Wye then reduce to a 1.5" add an elbow and go up to build the P trap. The 3" waste line will continue under the bathroom. The existing 2" PVC drain you see now is being used for a laundry but will be repurposed for the new laundry room at the end of the wall. All of these traps will be removed and the line extended to the end. On the far right is the bathroom wall.

bathroom drain closeup.jpg

3" waste line will continue to supply the bathroom sink via a 3" to 1.5" Tee, then onto a toilet flange, down 12 inches to a another Wye which will turn vertical to a 1.5" vent. The 3" then is reduced to 2" for the shower drain. So 1 vent to service the toilet and shower and another vent for the sink all connected to the main vent pipe 1.5" is coming down from the ceiling area behind the wall. I would use this as the main vent line for all fixtures. Kitchen, bathroom and extend it down past the bathroom to the laundry area where it would service a utility sink and washing machine.
bathroom back wall.jpg

Bathroom back wall, 3" waste coming from kitchen to toilet then a Wye for a vent then reduced to 2" for the shower drain. Height of the vent is undecided as i need to figure out how to tie the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, along with utility and washing machine to this vent branch. All vent's here would be 1.5". distance between toilet and vent would be about 12" and distance between vent and shower drain would be about 40".

laundry back wall.jpg

Laundry area past the bathroom. Last in the line. using existing laundry drainage 2" and continuing it down to end. venting will be tied to rest of system. Only concern here is the height of the drain. Unsure if it may be too high off the ground to service as a drain for the utility sink.

Some questions i have.
Are there any glaring issues with the overall design that is not to code
Am i right to use Wye's for horizontal drainage connections and Sanitary Tee's for horizontal to vertical?
is the 1.5" vent ok for all of this or should i add a Studer vent for various sinks and to simplify venting. I can keep them in the cabinet or behind hinged cover for accessibility.

Attachments

• plumbing.png
    plumbing.png
    94.8 KB · Views: 177
  • 20220704_130320.jpg
    20220704_130320.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 199
  • 20220704_130320.jpg
    20220704_130320.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 178

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
First.. you're going to need to break out more concrete in order to connect to a drain and vent system properly.
Some questions i have.
Yes. All branches in your horizontal system need to be made with proper wye branch fittings. Every fixture needs a trap and all traps must be vented. Vents must rise vertically to a point no less than 6" above the flood levels of the fixture before they can be combined with other fixtures vents.
Am i right to use Wye's for horizontal drainage connections and Sanitary Tee's for horizontal to vertical?
Yes. Wyes are the correct way to connect fixtures in a horizontal drain. A san tee can be used in an upright position with the drain entering horizontally and draining vertically.
is the 1.5" vent ok for all of this or should i add a Studer vent for various sinks and to simplify venting. I can keep them in the cabinet or behind hinged cover for accessibility.
Some codes allow for a 1.5" vent for a toilet, UPC calls for 2" minimum..

Below is a quick sketch for the groundwork.

Attachments

• Ground work.png
    Ground work.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 204

Morlikster

Reaction score
First off. Thank you for your time! I really appreciate it.

First.. you're going to need to break out more concrete in order to connect to a drain and vent system properly.
I will break out as much as needed although I'd like to use the current 2" horizontal drain in the wall to service the laundry and sink. The pipe is currently 20 inches off the floor. The laundry is roughly 22' away from the main drain. I "think" there is room to lower the whole setup 3.5 inches to have a height of 16.5 inches at the main drain and slope it 1/8 per ft. This should get me below 20" at the washer drain/utility sink. Thoughts?
drain.jpg

Yes. All branches in your horizontal system need to be made with proper wye branch fittings. Every fixture needs a trap and all traps must be vented. Vents must rise vertically to a point no less than 6" above the flood levels of the fixture before they can be combined with other fixtures vents.

Yes. Wyes are the correct way to connect fixtures in a horizontal drain. A san tee can be used in an upright position with the drain entering horizontally and draining vertically.
Got it. Thanks.

Some codes allow for a 1.5" vent for a toilet, UPC calls for 2" minimum..
Looking through the venting sections. 10.16, section 8 wet venting and 10 common venting. Can I get away with having a vertical 2" vent between the toilet and shower work for both fixtures or will i have to have 2 separate vents?

Below is a quick sketch for the groundwork.
Thanks for the sketch. If i am looking at this correctly, you are suggesting i branch off the main 3" before i get to the toilet to service the shower and another branch for the washer.

The floorplan is a bit off as the shower drain is not actually centered but rather 9" back and side of the corner. Can the 3" main pipe just continue past the toilet in line and not have a separate branch? For the washing machine/utility sink, would i be able to go with the first response up top by lowering the existing above ground 2" to 16." high and sloping it to the 2.5" over 22feet upwards to the washer area to avoid trenching to the utility room?

shower pan.PNG

Thanks for your patience.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
First off. Thank you for your time! I really appreciate it.

I will break out as much as needed although I'd like to use the current 2" horizontal drain in the wall to service the laundry and sink. The pipe is currently 20 inches off the floor. The laundry is roughly 22' away from the main drain. I "think" there is room to lower the whole setup 3.5 inches to have a height of 16.5 inches at the main drain and slope it 1/8 per ft. This should get me below 20" at the washer drain/utility sink. Thoughts?
View attachment 84772

Got it. Thanks.

Looking through the venting sections. 10.16, section 8 wet venting and 10 common venting. Can I get away with having a vertical 2" vent between the toilet and shower work for both fixtures or will i have to have 2 separate vents?

Thanks for the sketch. If i am looking at this correctly, you are suggesting i branch off the main 3" before i get to the toilet to service the shower and another branch for the washer.

The floorplan is a bit off as the shower drain is not actually centered but rather 9" back and side of the corner. Can the 3" main pipe just continue past the toilet in line and not have a separate branch? For the washing machine/utility sink, would i be able to go with the first response up top by lowering the existing above ground 2" to 16." high and sloping it to the 2.5" over 22feet upwards to the washer area to avoid trenching to the utility room?

View attachment 84773
Thanks for your patience.
2 seperate vents that connect to each other in the wall is the way to go. Just connect them as they are right next to each other in the same wall. Connect them at 30" above the floor to be safe.

SheilaF

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am building out my basement and looking for advice on the plumbing.

View attachment 84751

Below are some images of my layout and how i intend to handle the drainage and venting. View attachment 84741
Main 3" waste line I plan to tap into this with a Wye and a 45 to new 3" section along the wet wall.

View attachment 84748
cutout about 4 feet over for the kitchen drain. I plan to use a 3" Wye then reduce to a 1.5" add an elbow and go up to build the P trap. The 3" waste line will continue under the bathroom. The existing 2" PVC drain you see now is being used for a laundry but will be repurposed for the new laundry room at the end of the wall. All of these traps will be removed and the line extended to the end. On the far right is the bathroom wall.

View attachment 84740
3" waste line will continue to supply the bathroom sink via a 3" to 1.5" Tee, then onto a toilet flange, down 12 inches to a another Wye which will turn vertical to a 1.5" vent. The 3" then is reduced to 2" for the shower drain. So 1 vent to service the toilet and shower and another vent for the sink all connected to the main vent pipe 1.5" is coming down from the ceiling area behind the wall. I would use this as the main vent line for all fixtures. Kitchen, bathroom and extend it down past the bathroom to the laundry area where it would service a utility sink and washing machine.
View attachment 84749
Bathroom back wall, 3" waste coming from kitchen to toilet then a Wye for a vent then reduced to 2" for the shower drain. Height of the vent is undecided as i need to figure out how to tie the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, along with utility and washing machine to this vent branch. All vent's here would be 1.5". distance between toilet and vent would be about 12" and distance between vent and shower drain would be about 40".

View attachment 84750
Laundry area past the bathroom. Last in the line. using existing laundry drainage 2" and continuing it down to end. venting will be tied to rest of system. Only concern here is the height of the drain. Unsure if it may be too high off the ground to service as a drain for the utility sink.

Some questions i have.
If your basement is built according to code, there are no issues with your design. Use Wye's for horizontal drainage and Sanitary Tee's for horizontal to vertical. 1.5" vent is enough for now. You can add a Studer vent for sinks which you need to access very frequently. A word of caution though. Most contractors are not plumbers and don't know much about plumbing. It is better to call a plumbing company for that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks