Basement Plumbing for Washing machine, Floor Drain and sink

Users who are viewing this thread

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
Location - Toronto Canada
Scope: Washing Machine, Floor Drain and Counter Sink

We would like to move the washing machine to the new location on the drawing.

Firstly, does the position seem feasible?
Any starters on how I would go about doing this - I already have the permit and this needs to be right because it will be inspected.

I know how to connect everything together, just unsure about the config because it's not really running with the direction of the water.

Any help would be amazing - I can provide pics and 3d mockups as we go

Thanks in advance

NovicePiper

EDIT: The right side of the washing machine is about 30" away from the wall

Attachments

• terrylove_roughE&#.jpg
    terrylove_roughE&#.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 4,238

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It does no good to speculate on how to run the pipes until you know EXACTLY how the existing ones are installed. Once you know that then you can figure out how to run the new ones AND the venting. Most areas you would have to show HOW you were going to install the new piping BEFORE they would give you a permit.

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hi hj - When we filled out the application form they just asked what the scope of work etc , we ticked a few boxes of work to be included - they said it was ok and issued a permit there and then $....the inspector has already been in regarding some hvac work - he saw the plumbing permit in the window (maybe he already new from our file) anyhow - we had a few other questions and he asked if we were moving the laundry room/ washing machine from its current position etc we said yes and his response was - 'if you are just moving it a short distance, it will be ok'......but we are now moving it to another wall. This leads me to the assumption we would probably need to break open the floor and install a vent pipe through the roof from the corner, that being said I will break slab tomorrow and post pics.

Does that sound reasonable? I will also post pics of the install (during), if we can come up with something that works.

I guess my question was - looking at the plan and the research I have already done, I though all branch pipes had to run in the direction of the main sewer line, The proposed loc of the WM is sort of off alignment and i really dont want to disturb the footing nr the foundation.

I will accurately survey the area to be worked in and post back my findings.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
This leads me to the assumption we would probably need to break open the floor and install a vent pipe through the roof from the corner, that being said I will break slab tomorrow and post pics.

Sure.
I don't see your location under your profile. Maybe you can can into your profile and update that.
That would help us to know what you local plumbingt code may be.

If I were doing the work, I would wye off for the floor drain, adding a vent, that would run over to the wall with the washer drain.
I would tie the washer vent and the floor drain vent together at 42" above the floor.
Here in Seattle, I could run all that in 2"
Places that use IPC would want 3" until you pick up the washer.
The washer p-trap and standpipe can be 2" in either case.
At the washer, go ahead and install a cleanout for the "end of the line"

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
Photos

Pipe A is the old down spout water pipe from outside - this was blocked off sometime ago outside.
Pipe B is the existing old VC floor drain.

The direction of flow in the washing machine picture (that will be the position of the washing machine) is the outside downspout direction/fall etc

I was sort of thinking...since that pipe is already there and is 4" ID could i wye off of that?

THE RED LINE IS THE MAIN SEWER LINE

I will upload a quick cad mockup later on..

Let me know if that helps any of you pro plumbers out there re advice

thanks again NP

Attachments

• DSC04291..jpg
    DSC04291..jpg
    61 KB · Views: 4,136
  • overall..jpg
    overall..jpg
    41 KB · Views: 3,498
Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Keep digging.

The connection must made directly to the main line.
What you have unearthed so far might be interesting, but does not help us in seeing how the connection should be made.

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
the bermuda sewer line

So I'm digging and I cant seem to locate the main sewer line I know it is definitely in this region. Not too sure on how deep - would a 6 inch VC pipe be on a 1/50? ...it was about 26" near the stack so if that's right... It would be right to presume the distance to dig at this point would be around 32" based on the distance..

Also in the garden there is a 4" pipe sticking out vertically by around 6" or so with a little domne on top - its heavily corroded and there seems to be a 6' sink hole around it - could this have anything to do with the drain line i have discovered? - the pipe in question is directly in the middle of the dome in question.

I will continue to keep digging - if any one has any Q's or advice thus far please let me know

thanks NP

THE BLUE LINE - does not indicate the location of the sewer - just the direction of flow from the main stack

Attachments

• Perspective_dig_&#50.jpg
    Perspective_dig_&#50.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 3,172
  • TopElevation..jpg
    TopElevation..jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 3,116
Last edited:

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
...so that's just an update on the situation right now - (last post) I think im going to cut the pipe out before and after the trap and cap it off as a temporary measure...the vertical pipe section cracked at the joint so it needs replacing anyway.. I will post back later

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
OK so hopefully I can get around to this task today - finding the swer line - on a side note - the 6inch down there at the moment - do i need to keep that (snap cutter it) and then join it back up using bands etc - what if it breaks? I will try and post back later today if found.

Thanks

NP

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
Found Main Sewer Line

So I found the Main Sewer Line - there is 100% nothing else attached to this line at all on the way out of the house to the street.

Is this clear enough for some expert guidance now? - eventually i know I need to break more slab but for now (I would like to get this done this wknd). Really would like to get the inspector in the same time he does the HVAC end of nxt wk maybe - but need to get washing machine hooked back up - starting to smell :) + plus still have to frame out walls etc

thanks

NP

EDIT - I have no IDea what the small copper pipe is running across the top of the pic - thought it was a primer but it does not seem to go anywhere - any ideas?

EDIT 2 - I was told by the local plumbers shop that the main pipe was 6 inch clay - looks and measures bigger--maybe its the I.D NOT O.D - just in case anyone is wondering

Attachments

• sewerPipe..jpg
    sewerPipe..jpg
    59 KB · Views: 4,084
Last edited:

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
If I were doing the work, I would wye off for the floor drain, adding a vent, that would run over to the wall with the washer drain.
I would tie the washer vent and the floor drain vent together at 42" above the floor.
Here in Seattle, I could run all that in 2"
Places that use IPC would want 3" until you pick up the washer.
The washer p-trap and standpipe can be 2" in either case.
At the washer, go ahead and install a cleanout for the "end of the line"

Hey Terry, not exactly following you with this one re the vent etc - also, would i tie in after the floor drain? and would I need to shoot a pipr up to the roof re vents after tieing in at 42inches?
Im in toronto so I think thats UPC but not 100% sure...m,any thanks for your input so far - I posted the actual main line connection to the floor drain #10 - I guess im just waiting now - I will do a visual and keep everyone updated througout the process with pics to so can all keep me on the right track - this site rocks!

thanks NP

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
I was totally unaware of terry's health and would just like to take this time to wish him well.

If anyone else would like to contribute that would be great - I will wait for your expertise - always appreciated - I love glueing pipes together!

Thanks NP

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
Could someone please help me with this...Need to hook the washer back up asap....I really would appreciate feedback.

Do you need anymore info???

Thank you in advance for anything you can offer - NovicePiper

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
Have I done something wrong...this thread seems to have lost interest? I'm itching to get at this...also is Toronto UPC or IPC cant seem to find that out on the web - I could trade some visuals for re models or something if anyone can help me with this...'novicepiper' wipes the tears away from his eyes..

all the best

Im going to have a go and waste my time on what I think needs to be done - ill be back in a while then...

NovicePiper or CARL...sigh

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
After any trap, you would need to add a vent to break the siphon.
If the pipe is vertical, you would use a santee, and for horizontal a wye fitting. A Combo is considered a wye fitting too.

The vents can tie together above the flood level of the highest fixture on that floor, 42"
Then the vent needs to either revent at 42" on the next floor, or continue through to the roof.

From vent to trap Max distance
1.5" 42"
2.0" 60"
3.0" 72"

It would be
Floor drain,
Vent within 60"
Then wye into a waste line.

Fittings below grade would be waste fittings. 45's and long turns.

It was Mothers Day yesterday.

Last edited:

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
After any trap, you would need to add a vent to break the siphon.
If the pipe is vertical, you would use a santee, and for horizontal a wye fitting. A Combo is considered a wye fitting too.

The vents can tie together above the flood level of the highest fixture on that floor, 42"
Then the vent needs to either revent at 42" on the next floor, or continue through to the roof.

From vent to trap Max distance
1.5" 42"
2.0" 60"
3.0" 72"

It would be
Floor drain,
Vent within 60"
Then wye into a waste line.

Fittings below grade would be waste fittings. 45's and long turns.

It was Mothers Day yesterday.

Re Mothers Day - Yes I know, people on here are usually quick to reply and there have been tons of viewings - Im was just looking at the basement and thinking OMGosh... Also, I will get back to the forum with a visual I think..

I have no idea how to join into the Clay (Large OD) Can't seem to find any bands/couplings for that size pipe...I was hoping I could join into the pipe nr the existing main 'T' in and then split/Y off that but I know from what you are saying and what others say every fixture has to join into the main drain separately - or so I gather...

Thank you for posting Terry - I will get back as I say with a visual later today

NP

Last edited:

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have done a quick visual based on advice given: I would like to if possible concentrate on the main connection to the SEWER LINE.

GREEN PIPE: 2" - Waste
RED PIPE: 1.5" - Vent - this would be vented directly to roof transitioning to 4" PIPE before going through the roof - I think it's 3ft of 4" PIPE before roof line and then 12" after that re roof finish

I cannot find any long sweeps at HD so i will try lowes

There are no Santee's on the horizontal, only Wye's...

How is this looking?

EDIT - the green pipe to the left is for the washing machine - it will be vented in the wall

You are probably going to say that they need to be seperated and each connect directly into the SEWER LINE, maybe!? :) - I 'll post again when i get back

Thanks

NP

Attachments

• QV..JPG
    QV..JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 2,839

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
First Attempt at the whole System

Hey - Thanks Terry - This is the first attempt at the whole job - Floor Drain, Washing Machine Vent&Waste + Sink Vent&Waste - it looks a little 'overdone/complicated to me' but I can't think of any other way at the moment...

GREEN - 2" . WASTE
RED - 1.5" . VENT
YELLOW - 1.5" . WASTE

I 'll check back tomorrow just in case theres a shiny new reply :)

good night people

NP

EDIT - the YELLOW SANITEE would be a long sweep like the one in terry's below OR I could just change it to a WYE?
EDIT and the YELLOW pipe going into the RED pipe should be a SANITEE not a WYE
EDIT ALSO, I could just come straight up off the sink trap 'vertically' and then 90 off and join into the RED vent above the existing SANITEE with another one for the tie in for the sink eliminating the RED vent at the corner of the YELLOW waste?

https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...-machine&highlight=washing+machine++standpipe

Attachments

• QV_2..jpg
    QV_2..jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 3,557
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
EDIT - the YELLOW SANITEE would be a long sweep like the one in terry's below OR I could just change it to a WYE?
wye or combo
EDIT and the YELLOW pipe going into the RED pipe should be a SANITEE not a WYE
Since you have it vented farther out, it could stay, but if makes more sense to have it as a santee.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks