Basement Laundry drain layout

Users who are viewing this thread

Frank8487

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am new here and would like to get some advice on relocating a laundry to the basement temporarily (12-15 months). I will be permanently building a laundry in my upstairs level when I do my upper bathroom remodel.

I would like advice on the drain pipe layout. I have located an area in the basement where the main drain pipe is at its lowest point before exiting the house and sketched the drain pipe layout. There is no place to tap into the vent stack downstairs and I would like to use an AAV.

If I use the minimum height dimensions below, the top of the standpipe will be approximately 4ft from the floor. Is my proposed layout ok below?

Thanks.

laundry.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
For UPC, you would be in technical violation of this:

quoted from https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/critique-drain-conversion-plan-for-washer-dryer-relocation.82018/#post-592216
No trap for any clothes washer standpipe receptor shall be installed below the
floor, but shall be roughed in not less than six (6) inches (152 mm) and not more than eighteen (18) inches (457 mm) above the floor.
I am not a plumber. I suspect inspectors would not be a stickler on that for rework, but I don't know. I am not a plumber. What I would think is that you could try to reduce your 6 to 18 inch segment. Also add some pipe supports.

Incidentally, most washers are speced to allow the drains lines to be as high as 96 inches from the bottom of the washer.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
your missing one little detail. those dimensions are from the finish floor.

Attachments

• fa361f3e5c439017157aef11d493a307.jpg
    fa361f3e5c439017157aef11d493a307.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 383

Frank8487

Reaction score
For UPC, you would be in technical violation of this:

quoted from https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/critique-drain-conversion-plan-for-washer-dryer-relocation.82018/#post-592216
No trap for any clothes washer standpipe receptor shall be installed below the
floor, but shall be roughed in not less than six (6) inches (152 mm) and not more than eighteen (18) inches (457 mm) above the floor.
I am not a plumber. I suspect inspectors would not be a stickler on that for rework, but I don't know. I am not a plumber. What I would think is that you could try to reduce your 6 to 18 inch segment. Also add some pipe supports.

Incidentally, most washers are speced to allow the drains lines to be as high as 96 inches from the bottom of the washer.

No rubber fittings here, all ABS fittings were planned. All pipes will be supported, just not pictured, thanks.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is true, so what would I need to do?

I see now, thanks. So what would I need to do in this case?
You get the idea. if its just temporary I don't see a problem. use a male adapter to thread into the existing clean out and install a clean out on the end of the pipe for the washer stand pipe. when your done with your bath room unscrew the drain and put the clean out plug back.

Attachments

• laundry.JPG
    laundry.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 375

Frank8487

Reaction score
You get the idea. if its just temporary I don't see a problem. use a male adapter to thread into the existing clean out and install a clean out on the end of the pipe for the washer stand pipe. when your done with your bath room unscrew the drain and put the clean out plug back.

James, thank you for this suggestion, this seems like a good route to go. I assume they make threaded male adapters in ABS that will screw in where the clean out plug currently exists. Not sure I have ever seen one of these.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes they make 3" adapters. After some further thought theirs a chance it may leak at the thread connection from vibration so I would cut the pipe and install a fernco rubber connection between the male adapter and the washer stand pipe to cushion the vibration. I know no rubber fittings. You could try it without one and see if it leaks.

Last edited:

Frank8487

Reaction score
Yes they make 3" adapters. After some further thought theirs a chance it may leak at the thread connection from vibration so I would cut the pipe and install a fernco rubber connection between the male adapter and the washer stand pipe to cushion the vibration. I know no rubber fittings. You could try it without one and see if it leaks.

So if the threaded connection leaks, cut the pipe at the clean out connection and install a fernco rubber connection, then when i'm ready to move upstairs, remove the fernco, glue in a threaded clean out adapter, and restore back to normal? That exit pipe is 4", so i'll need to see if they make a fernco for that size.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
No. Cut the section of pipe between the male adapter and the washer stand pipe. Then you can still unthread the pipe when you're done and put the clean out plug back in.

Frank8487

Reaction score

Sorry, no following James, can you point out on diagram?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks