Basement Heat by adding new take offs

Users who are viewing this thread

hags428

Reaction score
I am looking at ways to heat by basement as we are starting to finish it finally! Is it ok to add some additional take offs and flex duct to the main supply duct that run the length of the basement? My furnace is 135k BTU Propane forced hot air. I am installing a drop ceiling. I was researching and I saw that some folks installed the registers at the bottom of the walls. Is it ok to have them in the ceiling?

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can have them in the ceiling. The ceiling work work better for cooling then it will for heat. The cold air will drop down to the floor nicely, but the heat will float at the top of the room near the ceiling. As far as adding duct you would need to run specific calculations to see what your fan can produce and what it's currently drawing. If there's leftover between the two then you can add to it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Besides the BTU I would expect the cfm of the airhandler plays a part . I dont work with HVAC but adding a full basement on a single story home could double your size of conditioned space or close to it . So its hard to assume your furnace is supstantial to double the demand on it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks