Basement Floor Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

237user

Reaction score
Hi

Best way to remove this in order to replace it with something nicer?

Attachments

• IMG_20200821_172001.jpg
    IMG_20200821_172001.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 149

Reach4

Reaction score
If I could slip a blade (small screwdriver or paring/steak knife) under the concrete covering the grate, I would lift, and break off the concrete. Maybe push down just outside of where the edge of the grate is, to avoid chipping beyond the grate.

You could find a jar lid or something to help draw the circle to help push down in the right places.

Just tapping the overhanging concrete with a hammer may be faster, but I think prying makes it less likely to mess up the concrete near the ring.

Other options would be to use a small chisel or similar to break the concrete around the outer edge. Then lift he grate off with a couple screwdrivers etc. Measure, and order a new grate.

wallhanger

Reaction score
Hi

Best way to remove this in order to replace it with something nicer?

I am a very very amateur homeowner when it comes to repairs. (As in I just spent 2-3 days fiddling with a faucet and disposer replacement).

That looks exactly like the kind of thing that turns into the next nightmare when I start on it.

I like the suggestion of a chisel myself. I might even see if I had an old screwdriver I could use to make very small nibbles.

However there are two things that concern me when I look at the picture.

The first is that around the top 2/3 of the drain it looks like the top layer of concrete may be an "add-on". That suggests that if that was my project, there is probably no way the concrete would break the way I wanted it to.

The second is that I have never worked with a drain, new or old, and I do not know what should be underneath it. I can see concrete sticking out from the sides of the drain hole under the grate in two spots. I don't know what that says about the possibility of concrete breakage around the drain cover leading to problems seating a new one when you work on removing the old one.

Depending on where it is, budget and how important appearance really is, I would consider opting for just a dremel steel brush, rustoleum primer and glossy black spray paint.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Take a small cold chisel like Reach4 says and chisel strait down around the drain so you don't chip away concrete that was not intended to be removed. wire brush and paint sounds good to me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks