Basement floor drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Timmed

Reaction score
Hi all. DIY person here asking for advice. Demoing an old basement kitchen and in the process of removing tile I discovered there used to be a floor drain that they tiled over (WHO DOES THAT???) I'm sure there was a remodel at some point, and whatever handyman did the tile work thought it was easier to just cover it than try to cut around it and pitch the tile correctly.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I want a functional drain. This old thing was filled with cement and thinset, so I'm busting out the floor to replace the trap. In the process, discovered a copper tube that feeds into the drain. Any ideas what this was originally used for? Any other general advice on getting this job done?

Thanks, Tim

Attachments

• 2023-04-05 16.18.53.jpg
    2023-04-05 16.18.53.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 2023-04-05 16.19.00.jpg
    2023-04-05 16.19.00.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 57

Timmed

Reaction score
It was a trap primer keeps trap from drying out and stinking
Thank you, Jeff. Any idea what the other end of this primer tube would be connected to? It seems to be pointing toward a basement bathroom that has a shower, my guess would be it connects to the shower trap.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wouldnt know Ive only installed them on a water line and that emits water down a pipe a very small amount, other types Ive used as well but never seen on homes. I would not guess connected from a shower to a floor drain.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are a few ways to supply water to a trap primer. They mostly get fed from a mechanical device that drips a bit of water everytime the water pressure in the home changes. Another method is to install a special tee under a bathroom sink that collects a tiny bit of that water every time the sink is used. Another way is the same tee off the tailpiece of a flushometer toilet (see this often in commercial use)

One way to find the source would be to add a bit of air to the trap side and listen where you hear hissing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks