Basement floor drain rules

Users who are viewing this thread

Phil P.

Reaction score
Greetings all and happy 2022!

I'm planning a basement renovation I want to include a floor drain in the utility room.

I plan a 2" pvc pipe with a p-trap, and keep it within 8ft trap arm length max for venting.
Is there any code requirement to have some sort of of system to keep trap from evaporating dry?

And if I add a similar floor drain to an upstairs laundry room, same question, any requirement to keep the trap wet?

Thanks much .. Phil

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I actually think the cast iron enamel floor sinks are better for draining. Floor drains are for emergency only in my opinion. Continuous draining like a condensate line needs a better surface.

There is no requirement, but a trap seal protection system is useful.

Phil P.

Reaction score
Thanks for the information folks! Yes it will be emergency/just in case floor drain. I'm well aware that trap water may evaporate and needs periodic refreshing .. I'll look into tap primer. Good week everyone! Phil

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks