Basement Floor Drain Pipe Collapsed - demo first or call?

Users who are viewing this thread

Soparklion

Reaction score
My house was built in 1942 and was flipped once. There are two waste stacks. One enters the concrete slab as plastic before picking picking up more waste from a laundry tub and floor drain. Last week, the washing machine discharged into the laundry tub and that water was regurgitated up the floor drain.

I snaked the laundry tub drain and now it drains fine.

I inspected the floor drain and identified that the terra cotta drain pipe had collapsed.

I plan to open up the area around the floor drain in order to evaluate the problem. If the pipe from the main stack was already replaced with ABS, I could easily just tie in a new ABS floor drain. If all of the pipe under the concrete floor is terra cota, I'll probably hire someone to rip up channels throughout my entire basement... in either case, I find that it is just more straightforward for the plumber to be able to see the problem from the start and get the right materials...

How would you go about exposing the pipe under the floor drain? Should I use a sledge hammer or is it worthwhile to make a mess with my 7" grinder and a masonry blade? Is a demo hammer a necessity? I've only installed outdoor drains before... I don't fear breaking any pipes as I will replace all of the terra cota pipe anyway.

Do you think that it is ok to continue to use my washing machine? I have an interior french drain and the sump doesn't smell - doesn't smell like sewage or like laundry detergent.

Thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
If there is any chance that your basement may get a sewer backup in the future, address that now. Overhead sewers, with a septic pit with pump, is the best solution. Flapper valves leak.

I don't know the answers to your questions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks