Basement floor drain move w broken PVC - advice needed

Users who are viewing this thread

depen004

Reaction score
First off, really appreciate this forum and all the knowledge that comes along from the folks that read and contribute... thanks!

Now on to my situation... I recently removed a whirlpool tub from a basement bathroom. The drain was proprietary and set into the concrete. I'll be putting in a shower in its place and need to move the drain location. After opening up the flooring, I noticed the PVC is cracked on two fittings (thinking I potentially hit this with the jack hammer while opening up the floor... still kicking myself if this is the case).

The sections broken (shown in the photos) happen to tie into a vent and the main waste line under more concrete. Is there a way to remove and replace or tie into those fittings without having to remove more concrete and the wall framing that sits on top of it?

Photo Aug 30, 3 17 28 PM.jpg

Photo Aug 30, 3 17 33 PM.jpg

Photo Aug 30, 3 17 54 PM.jpg

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you are going to have to remove a little more concrete, but do not use a jack hammer. Use a hammer and a concrete chisel. You could rent a small chipping hammer if you wanted to do so. Be careful and do not tear anymore up than you have too to get the job done.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It looks to me that you will need to break some concrete out to get to that.
You may need to pick up a ram-bit and drill out the street 45 from the hub of the 3x2 wye.

depen004

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'm not as concerned about the vent as that should be easier to break out from the concrete and repair.

As for the ram bit, I assume I would be able to find one at my local plumbing supply store? Hadn't heard of one before but looks like it should do the trick.

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks