Basement Floor Drain Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Krafcky

Reaction score
Hello -

I'm new to this site, and this will be my first post. What I"m looking for is some guidance/advice on replacing the floor drain in my basement. In everything I do, I try to ensure that local code in NYC is followed to the best of my ability, but in situations where it isn't possible, I ensure that my DIY work is safe and of the best quality. With that said, I am looking to convert the 'clean-out' (shown in the attached photos) into a usable floor drain. This was originally a connection point to our whole stack in the house, but we've since had it moved to accommodate some other things. The plumber who did the install left me with what you see, and my current 'drain' is literally just a hole in the ground that I'd rather fill in. What I'd like to do is remove the 90 and instead add a floor drain with an integrated p-trap as well as a clean-out. I've done some research online and have found a nice unit from Jumbo Mfg (1320-2W) that would work quite well. The question that I have is how to ensure that the drain is vented properly. Just as an FYI, I will not be able to tie into the vent for the house. In this instance, would it be 'acceptable' to install an AAV that will always be accessible at some point? Once this drain is in place, I'll be finishing up some tile work so I'll need the drain to be adjustable in some fashion. Thanks for your input.

Drain1.jpg
Drain2.jpg
Drain3.jpg
Drain5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's for a clean out? You will still need one for the end of the line. You could wye off keeping a cleanout and then add the floor drain. For the vent, was that going near a wall with an AAV? That would work where I'm at, though I don't know NY codes for that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks