Basement flooded

Users who are viewing this thread

MannyIndy

Reaction score
I have a basement with a sump pump and a battery backup (Basement Watchdog). Recently, my basement was partially flooded when both pumps failed to pump water out. I have no clue why. After discarding some water using a bucket, I forced both pumps to run by holding the float switch up on both of them. Nothing happened for a while and after some time, the pumps miraculously began to work.

Now both pumps are working, although I see that the battery backup is activated on some days, which tells me that the original float activated Zoeller pump did not kick in on that day. On other days, the original pump works. Looks like I have an intermittent problem with this pump.

Since I do not know how old the current pump is (it is at least 4 years old, since that is how long I have been in the house) I am planning to replace it with a diaphragm switch pump.

My questions.
1. What could have possibly caused the original flooding. It can't be the pumps, since both of them were working and are still working. The check valve on both is relatively new too.

2. What is a good reputable reliable diaphragm switch pump that I could use to replace the old one?

3. I believe the original pump is a 1/3 hp pump. Is it ok (although unnecessary) to replace it with a .5 or .6 hp pump? Does it cause any pump burn out/damage or any other issues if its cycle is too short or if it does not run often enough?

4. The discharge pipe is I believe 1.5 inches diameter. Is that good enough for a .6 hp pump?

Thanks for any help.
-- Manny

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The switches wear out...the easiest ones to replace are those that are separate from the pump. The pump's cord plugs into the switch and when the switch dies, you just unplug it and replace the switch. A pump with a built-in switch is more trouble, since you need to rebuild it when the switch dies, which is usually sooner than the motor. Getting the thing back waterproof and the rebuild can be problematic if you don't have the experience to do it right the first time.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Rigid makes electronic switches now that will never wear out and fail, or get hung up etc... check them out, simple piggy back style connection also.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
change the out

basement watch dogs are junk.......

they fail becasue you probably have never
maintained the battery....

the marine battery fails after a while and you dont know it

the pump get submerged in water and gets
all limed up because it never comes on

The Zoeller pumps are unreliable too,
unless you get a special one like I use all the time.

you are lucky you got them to come on in the flooded basement
without getting shocked.......

face the facts.....you are in the market for new equipmmet

what you have is not reliable anymore

change it all out before it floods again...

here is info on the best route you can go....

http://www.weilhammerplumbing.com/sumppumps/

Last edited:

Garydaplummer

Union plumber/pipefitter-self employed
Reaction score
Air locked?

Is there a hole drilled in the discharge line just above the pump? I believe you'll find on both these pumps Zoeller (some models) and Basement Watchdog (I install both) that they call for a 1/4" hole to be drilled a few inches above the pump on the discharge pipe if you're using a check valve.

Marv

Reaction score
you are lucky you got them to come on in the flooded basement
without getting shocked.......

Off Topic: Distilled water is actually an insulator. If a storm fills your basement over the service panel, you probably will not loose power in the house and the lights can still be on under water. But...I still would not walk down stairs.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I sure hope you are not trying to argue that storm water in a basement is equivalent to distilled water.

It depends how it got there. If it fell from the sky straight into the basement, then its probably as distilled as you can get.

If it's run off, well who knows?

If its been filtered by miles of rock and disolved minerals, certainly not.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's typically a fair amount of organic stuff in rainwater...spores, pollen, dust, smoke, etc. that triggers the condensation process for the raindrop.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
All water conducts electricity.

The best man can make to resist electrical flow is 18 megohm (resistance to electrical flow) DI (deionized) water.

Rain water is nowhere near the quality of distilled water and certainly will allow electrical current to flow through it; as will distilled water.

Marv

Reaction score
Then how do your explain a service panel that is covered with water and still powering up a house (happened here), or a basement being flooded with water and the lights are still on (happened here).

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Lucky is all I could say... I have seen that not happen a few times. I do hope it was replaced when the house was repaired.

We have a thing called salt water here... That is a far superior conductor than fresh water.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Then how do your explain a service panel that is covered with water and still powering up a house (happened here), or a basement being flooded with water and the lights are still on (happened here).
I'd explain it as a freak of nature. Or something is/was wrong with the breakers or there hadn't been enough time for the shorting of the panel OR... those saying they saw it happen were under the influence and mistaken.

Everyone should know that water conducts electricity, it's a simple fact. The higher the TDS (total dissolved solids) content of the water (sea water has a TDS of like 35000 ppm), the better it will conduct electricity.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
One explanation is that you only have 120 volts here.

Where I come from, 240 volts plus water does not mess about.

I miss my cool running 240.

Big, fat, hot US 120 volt wires do not do it for me.

MannyIndy

Reaction score
Electronic switch on Rigid sounds good. Does anyone have firsthand experience with them?

I thought I saw someone suggesting to everyone to stay away from Rigid. Is that a general view?

Also, do they make the diaphragm switch separate from the pump? I have seen Stevens but it is integral to the pump. Do you know a brand that makes/sells these type of switches and pumps?
Thanks

MannyIndy

Reaction score
Electronic Switch

I just saw FF-98 Floodfree manufactured by PumpBiz Pumps. The idea seems nice. Has anyone seen this in operation? Any reviews/feedback on this one?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks