Basement Drain Line Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

meister_dub

Reaction score
Hi!

Have a question on a small drainline replacement project. And yes, I am one of the evil DIY'ers but here goes anyway... :D

I currently have a 4" floor drain that I am having to replace as it is in close proximity to a 2" C.I. drain line that ties into it which has broken in a few places under my basement slab. This 2" line services a kitchen sink, washing machine, dishwasher and utility sink. It is undersized and I will be going 3". The house was built in 1933 so I can understand why it is undersized.

The 2" line ties into the 4" line which starts at the floordrain. There currently are NO clean-outs for this line. I am questioning where to add the cleanout - shall I place a clean-out at the transition from C.I. to PVC, and another in the 3" stack where it will come up through the basement floor? Or place it immediately downstream from the floor drain in addition to the aformentioned stack clean-out?

And, I think this would be a no-no, but is it OK to install a 4" clean-out for the C.I. and then downsize to a 3" line to service the floor drain and all mentioned fixtures?

I'm thinking this project thru and just wanting to make sure it's done properly. Any feedback would be appreciated.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
?

Ig the cast iron is 4", then yes you SHOULD install a 4" cleanout, and then a reducer can be used for the upstream portion. Install the stack cleanout just above the basement floor where the riser goes up to the sinks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks