Basement closet flange, try to remove, use a spacer or something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

TEG

Reaction score
I’m currently renovating my basement bathroom and am trying to decide whether to try and remove an insert closet flange, use a spacer, or try something else.

The flange is currently about 1/4” above the slab. When I’m done tiling the floor should be raised around ~3/4” which would set the flange about 1/2 lower than the finished floor.

Normally I would break the flange out (score and chisel) but I can tell the previous home owner used solvent cement, and I’ve heard that it’s to practical to remove….

Any recommendations?

PS

Long time reader, first time poster (I've pretty much installed all totos in my various homes thanks to Terry).

Edit:

If I use a spacer, I'd plan on something like the set-rite extension kits with the gasket. I doubt I could get a clean silicone using just the pvc rings. If I do go down that path, I'll probably first make sure to try a double wax ring though...

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
wouldnt do anything ..... long bolts and one std wax and one deep with horn I like long bolts anyway helps you guide bowl in place

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks