Basement Bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

IllusionOfAGoodTime

Reaction score
I just recently gutted the basement, and a french drain will be installed friday, so of course this is last min.

I decided that I want to put a full bathroom in the basement. There is no current drainage in the floor. Also the line out to the septic is about 4' off the basement floor so I suppose that I'll need some kind of ejector pump. Basically at this point, i'm looking at my options. I have no problem taking up the floor, or anything.

What I'm looking for is the most effective way to drain the shower/steam, sink, toilet and urinal, and also of course, vent them properly.

I have a feeling that I will probably be hiring someone for the bulk of the job, but I would like to...
A - Not sound like an idiot when I speak to someone giving me a quote, and
B - try to do some of the breaking up the floor and drainage myself to save on the cost a little.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, you will need to break up the floor for both the drains and the pit for the sewage pump and tank. Both the tank and the new fixtures will need to be vented. The vents can be tied together above the sink level (normally about 42" above the floor) so you won't need more than one vent leaving the area. You will want 1/4" per foot slope down into the pit for the drain lines, and they need to be sized appropriately. You probably don't want to make huge holes in the slab, so rent or pay someone to use a wet saw to make some neat cuts where you want them, then break out the concrete, lay the pipes, and then backfill. The shower should have a 2" drain, and the toilet 3 or 4". Some places require all drains under the slab to be some minimum, so the sink drain may need to be bigger than 1-1/2", at least in the slab.

Try drawing to scale where you want things, then see how it would work out. You can post a drawing here for comment.

IllusionOfAGoodTime

Reaction score
Attached is a view of the area of the basement that I'm thinking about. Again, nothing is set in stone yet, just preliminary stuff...I'm just thinking that since they're going to be tearing up the floor on friday I might as well get some kind of pipes in the ground before they cement over their stuff....

I have a wet saw and I have no problem cutting, or whatever myself. It's just the actual plumbing. I've just never taken on a plumbing task of this magnitude before.

Attachments

• basement2.pdf
    13 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The placement of the piping is somewhat critical, especially for a toilet. It can be for a shower as well, since they are much better if the drain can be centered well - the closer the better (although you can get by with it off-center, it doesn't look as good, or as easy to get the pan slopes right). So, haphazardly laying pipe won't buy you much, since you may just have to break it up again. You need to know where the walls are going to go, and where you want to place the fixtures.

Prashster

Reaction score
You also need to plan your vents. This will be dictated by - or might dictate - where the walls go.

IllusionOfAGoodTime

Reaction score
The venting will be fairly easy as the walls in the staircase are open, or actually not built yet, and it's a ranch so I can get right to the attic no problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions as far as a waste ejector pump? I've been wandering around the internet and have really only found maybe 2 or 3 different brands.

Last edited:

Hube

Reaction score
Illusion, I, and many others I know have installed a "Sani-plus" Macerating system. No need to do any tearing up of floors is necessary.Simple to install, the Sani-plus" system will handle a basin, toilet and bath/shower.
priced at approx $800.
Check out the site at; www.saniflow.com

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
That is certainly an option, but many basements are height disadvantaged...raising the floor height of the shower is not a viable option.

Prashster

Reaction score
If you google Saniflo like I did when I was considering, all you'll find is a bunch of complaints about how it clogs. I'm not saying that's a fair assessment, but it made me doubt.

You won't be able to do a shower w/o raising the floor. Query this forum for 'raising bathroom floor' and you'll see how people feel about this option.

I'm no pro, but my advice is not to buy a 'simplex' system where you get a basin, pump, check and gate valve. Buy the parts separately. You can get a Flotec basin and lid from HD for a reasonable price. I'd get a Zoeller pump (great reputation here). I'd also get the best check valve and 1/4 turn gate valve I could buy. Get them from a plumbing supply store.

IllusionOfAGoodTime

Reaction score
Yea...unfortunatly the ceiling is already on the low side so I would rather not go too crazy raising the floor. I mean, a couple inches wouldn't be that bad, but I'd rather not have to duck when I'm in the shower...

I think that I'm going to be running the bar sink and dishwasher into the unit as well, and if I get a larger system I may even be able to get the washing machine in drain into it as well. I did actually see the Saniflow system, but it just seems too small. I'm not saying that it's not a great product for some people, I just want something that will make me feel like it's more heavy duty. The guy who owned the house prior was a "handyman" so the stuff that I'm ripping out....let's just say that I wish that I took pictures to share with you.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you look at building codes, you need 30" space for most plumbing fixtures.

The toilet would need 30"
the Urinal would need 30"
the Lav would need 30"

24" in front of a toilet bowl too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks