Basement Bathroom Vent Location and Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Kmanion1470

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am currently attempted to finish a full bath with a separate bar sink in my basement. The rough-in for the full bath was completed during prior construction, so I am not sure exactly how the pipes run under the concrete.

Things I do know:

- The shower has a p-trap.
- When I cut the caps off the toilet and shower, the water did not move. As soon as I cut the sink drain open, the toilet drained into the ejector pit. This water was from the prior construction to test the system (they never drained it).
- The ejector pit has a 2" vent line that leads to a 2" vent put in for it. The sink drain has a 1.5" vent line right above it that leads to the next floor. The 2" and 1.5" vent ties together on the first floor before going to the 2nd floor and roof.

I make a sketch of the way I think it is laid out. Based on the suction of the toilet, I assume the sink ties into the main sewer pipe before the shower. Once the toilet drained, the shower p-trap did not siphon off. It appears the sink vent is the wet vent for the toilet.

Capture.JPG

Question:

- Do I need to break open the concrete and add a vent to the shower, or can it also wet vent through the sink?
- I plan on adding a bar sink to feed into the bathroom sink drain with its own vent to the main stack - is this fine?

I assume since this was new construction (6 months ago), all of this should work, since that is the way to was originally intended to be set up (except the bar sink), but I want to confirm.

Thank you in advance!
Kristopher

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
1) No, shower can be wet vented by the lav.

2) No, the bar sink drain is supposed to connect in downstream of all the bathroom fixtures. Since you say you have a 2" lav stub up, if you were adding a second lavatory instead of a bar sink, what you propose would be fine.

Cheers, Wayne

Kmanion1470

Reaction score
1) No, shower can be wet vented by the lav.

2) No, the bar sink drain is supposed to connect in downstream of all the bathroom fixtures. Since you say you have a 2" lav stub up, if you were adding a second lavatory instead of a bar sink, what you propose would be fine.

Cheers, Wayne
I'm confused why the bar sink would need to connect downstream of all fixtures, but adding a separate sink would not. Is is because of the extra vent? Can I do something like this or is there a max distance from the sink p-trap to the vent I need to keep? The bar is roughly 12-13' away.

Capture2.JPG

I assume the top sketch above still won't work. It would seem if I really want to do it right, I need to open the floor and add a dedicated drain for the plumbing. Is this what would be needed?

Capture3.JPG

Thank you!

Last edited:

Kmanion1470

Reaction score
I'm confused why the bar sink would need to connect downstream of all fixtures, but adding a separate sink would not. Is is because of the extra vent? Can I do something like this or is there a max distance from the sink p-trap to the vent I need to keep? The bar is roughly 12-13' away.

View attachment 83308
Also, thank you for your original response! I forgot to add that in my reply!

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The issue is that horizontal wet venting is limited to bathroom groups. So adding a lavatory (bathroom sink) is OK, while adding a bar sink is not OK. While it seems like primarily a semantic difference, I guess there is an increased likelihood of the bar sink being used at the same time as the other bathroom fixtures.

If the bar sink on the wet vent would work just as well as an extra lav would (not sure), then breaking open concrete for compliance seems like a high cost.

Cheers, Wayne

Kmanion1470

Reaction score
The issue is that horizontal wet venting is limited to bathroom groups. So adding a lavatory (bathroom sink) is OK, while adding a bar sink is not OK. While it seems like primarily a semantic difference, I guess there is an increased likelihood of the bar sink being used at the same time as the other bathroom fixtures.

If the bar sink on the wet vent would work just as well as an extra lav would (not sure), then breaking open concrete for compliance seems like a high cost.

Cheers, Wayne
Thank you for the response!

It seems the best solution, but also the most work is the bust up the concrete. I have been looking into whether I can add a second drain line into the top of the ejector pit. It seems like there is a split on the idea, but some have had luck with their inspector. What are your thoughts on this. It would be a heck of a lot easier than busting concrete and it would create a separate circuit for the bar sink.

Capture4.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks