Basement Bathroom Remodel Plumbing Layout...

Users who are viewing this thread

smc332s

Reaction score
First timer here with questions about line sizing and vent sizing. I have attached a rough (and I'm sure it's rough, not to scale by any means...) layout of my basement bathroom remodel project and would like any advice/input offered. Can I vent the 3 fixtures in the drawing this way? Are my pipe sizes correct? The city I live in follows IPC. Is what I have laid out acceptable for this?

Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing from you.

Scott
Bathroom Plumbing.png

Bob Y.

Reaction score
Hello Scott,

Yes, vent pipes look good. I do not see a problem with the pipe layout as shown. However, even though your layout is good, I would strongly suggest that you run a dedicated vent pipe for the toilet and disconnect it from the sink and shower vent pipe.

Also, you may wish to reconsider the position in which the toilet and sink are laid out. It would be more advantageous to move the sink and/or toilet closer to one another for added convenience. This would be considered a selling point if you ever decide to sell the house.

If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me.

Bob

smc332s

Reaction score
Hello Scott,

Yes, vent pipes look good. I do not see a problem with the pipe layout as shown. However, even though your layout is good, I would strongly suggest that you run a dedicated vent pipe for the toilet and disconnect it from the sink and shower vent pipe.

Also, you may wish to reconsider the position in which the toilet and sink are laid out. It would be more advantageous to move the sink and/or toilet closer to one another for added convenience. This would be considered a selling point if you ever decide to sell the house.

Bob
Thanks for the response Bob. I have rethought the layout, please check the attached drawing and let me know if this works and would be in code. I will run 3" PVC to the toilet and 3/2 wye off that line. Still plan to run 2" vent out of toilet and sink. I will also just plug the old line sink drain line.

Will this layout work? Thanks again for the help.
Hello Scott,

Bob

Attachments

• BR Vent2.png
    BR Vent2.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 198

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Bob. I have rethought the layout, please check the attached drawing and let me know if this works and would be in code. I will run 3" PVC to the toilet and 3/2 wye off that line. Still plan to run 2" vent out of toilet and sink. I will also just plug the old line sink drain line.

Will this layout work? Thanks again for the help.
Shower is not vented

Bob Y.

Reaction score
Hi Scott,

I am glad to hear from you again.

I really like your layout with the sink next to the toilet.
Once you are happy with the exact placement of all of your fixtures, you are now ready to install all of your drain and vent piping. The double sink will need two PVC J-traps, one for each sink. The shower will also need a J-trap and should be placed directly underneath the shower drain.

I have included some drain and vent pipe layouts/diagrams which indicate how to hook up your double sink, shower, and toilet. I always said that a picture is worth more than a thousand words. I hope that these pipe layouts/diagrams will help you in laying out your drain and all of your venting pipes.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know, as I will be very happy to help you in any way that I can. In any case, please keep me informed about your plumbing project.

Scott, I have a question for you. W
here is your hot water tank located?

The reason why I ask is because I find it best that your hot water output side pipe of your hot water tank be insulated with pipe foam to keep your hot water outlet side from getting cold. Also, if you insulate the hot water side outlet side with pipe wrap, your hot water side will deliver hot water faster to your bathroom fixtures, especially if your pipe runs are very long. In the winter, this pipe wrap will help quite a bit to keep your hot water pipes from getting colder faster and help your hot water pipes stay hotter longer.

Scott, have you ever had a hot water tank break and flood your basement or house? If so, was there a lot of water damage caused by your hot water tank?

I would like to tell you about a truly wonderful patented device that I invented called the Talking Water Tank Minder, which is magnetically installed on your hot water tank to protect your house from ever flooding again. Please see the following link:

https://patents.justia.com/patent/9916748

A 1/8" hole will flood your house with 159 gallons of water per hour at a city water pressure of 60 psi. This device shuts off your cold water inlet side of your hot water tank and stops your hot water tank from flooding your basement or house. The system can be used over and over again. Once it is installed on your existing hot water tank, installation on every hot water tank after that can be completed in less than five minutes.

The Talking Water Tank Minder can also be used for a refrigerator that has water and an ice maker in the door. In one hour, 300 gallons of water can flood your home from a blown plastic fitting or plastic 1/4" water line at a city water pressure of 60 psi. The reason why refrigerator fittings fail and lines rupture is because of fluctuations in city water pressure. They can fluctuate as much as 20 psi, which can blow off the plastic fittings, causing catastrophic flooding. These water lines and plastic fittings are located underneath your refrigerator.

Scott, I thought that you might be interested in the Talking Water Tank Minder because you seem like you enjoy and care about your house and would want it to be safe from flooding. If you would like more information about the Talking Water Tank Minder, please contact me, and I would be happy to answer any questions that you may have and send you a pamphlet.

It is a real pleasure writing to you. :)

Bob

upload_2020-2-26_22-49-54.jpeg
images
images
19e2a1811083d6c490cb204d6d9705f9.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks