Basement Bathroom Remodel - Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

BoxerFamily

Reaction score
Redoing the basement bathroom with a concrete floor. Attached is a picture of the current situation.

Basement Bathroom Floor.jpeg

The old vinyl tiles will be replaced by ceramic tile (3/8" thick). I will be laying an uncoupling membrane before the tile.

The current drain opening is about 3 ½". From what I've been reading, I was planning on cutting the current bolts off, laying the underlayment and tile, then using a repair flange (probably 3") that will sit on top of the file and fit down inside the old one.

Does that sound correct? If the current opening is 3 ½", the 3" flange will have a little room around it inside the existing opening. What should I do to keep sewer gas from seeping around that?

I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Easy fix. If the existing waste pipe is cast iron or galvanized a caulked CI floor flange is very easy to install . Gently remove the old flange and place the new one over the pipe and caulk a joint. Vertically is is an easy joint to make.

I keep several in stock for these types of jobs

Reach4

Reaction score
One other possibility would be to saw off the existing closet bolts, and to put a Danco HydroSeat, over wax that goes right over what you have. I am not a pro. This would avoid stressing the existing lead. This would be installed after the finished floor was placed, and the feet go onto the finished floor.

You would form the wax to the ideal size and shape, possibly molding the ideal size and shape out of two wax rings.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
In this context, does "caulked" mean "joined with lead"?

Cheers, Wayne
When I was doing a repair for the General post office in Manhattan they had 4" galvanized waste and soil lines.

The existing Cast Iron floor flange was totally corroded and it was under a slab so I bought a few CI inside caulk flanges as it is perfect for CI or galvanized and the ones I bought are extra deep as some flanges were screwed on so the threads were totally rotten away

BoxerFamily

Reaction score
IMG_2165.jpg

These are the supplies I came home with from the store (I wanted options!) I think I'm going with @Reach4 suggestion and use the HydroSeat once I've got the new tile down.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks