Basement bathroom plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Xandrew245x

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm getting ready to start a basement bathroom project, this will involve breaking out the concrete floor to install the drains and a Sump pit. I'm not 100% sure on venting and I wanted to get some feedback on my plumbing layout. I did a rough sketch and will do my best to explain it.

The shower will be in thr far right corner and thr toilet will be placed beside it in thr opposite corner. The sink will be in front of the toilet on the opposite wall. I will run a 2" line from the shower where it will meet a 3" wye. The wye will go back to connect the toilet. After the 3" wye I will install another wye which will 90 over to the wall where a 2" vent will be installed. The line will continue on where the sink will connect into the 3" line. The sink will have its own vent. These two vents will tie into the vent for thr Sump pit which will go outside.

Question is, someone told me that I wouldn't even need the second vent, that I could use the drain for the sink and the sink vent as a wet vent for the shower and toilet. I was also told that the Sump pit vent could be used as a indirect vent for the toilet and shower as well. Please let me know what you think im going to be renting the demo hammer within the next week.
20171120_095358.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I was also told that the Sump pit vent could be used as a indirect vent for the toilet and shower as well.
Tell us about this "sump pit". Is it sealed and does it have a vent line?

What I am getting at is this a septic pit with a grinder pump (what you need for a toilet), or is it a sump with a sump pump. Sump pump pits are generally not sealed with a gasketed cover, and don't have vent lines.

Xandrew245x

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have specified that. It will be a Sump pit with a sealed lid. It will have a grinder pump to pump thr waste up to the main sewer line. The pit will be vented with a 2" line that I will be installing to the roof line.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. To let the bathroom sink (lavatory) lines vent the whole bathroom group, you want the toilet to be the last thing entering on the way to to the pit. The lavatory vent and drain should be 2 inches. What you have is not OK, because there is no vent for the shower before the toilet.

Xandrew245x

Reaction score
So I would need something more along the lines of this. Then all three vents would tie into the vent for the pit.
20171120_105935.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I am pretty sure you don't need that vent for the toilet.

Xandrew245x

Reaction score
So vent the shower and the sink and I should be okay? I just want to make sure this is done right because it's not going to be very easy to fix it after I finish the bathroom.

Reach4

Reaction score
There is more to consider. Now you want to make a diagram with fittings identified better, pipe sizes, and pipe lengths. For your shower, you would probably want the vent to be vertical, and the shower arm to go to the vent and then turn toward the toilet area. Consider cleanouts too.

Xandrew245x

Reaction score
Okay how about this. The shower vent will go into the interior wall then head over to the main vent. The shower drain will be 2" and the vent will be 1.5" the vent will wye off the shower line then 45 into the wall. The 2" line will then 45 towards the Sump pit, it will then be up sized into 3" and right after that a 3" wye followed by a 45 will tie the toilet in. The sink will tie in right after the toilet with a 2" line which will also continue straight up as a vent and tie into the main vent line.
20171120_115352.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
lgbasin.gif

The sump gets a vent. That is separate from the vents for the plumbing that will be going to the sump.
Then the lav should have it's vent and the shower should have a vent.
I would use 2" for the lav, as it's also venting the toilet.

Xandrew245x

Reaction score
Okay so I can not tie the bathroom vents into the sump pit vent? I would need to run two new vents? Someone told me a the vent for the Sump and the vent for thr bathroom could be shared. Other than that as long as I vent the shower and the sink with a 2" vent I should be good?

Xandrew245x

Reaction score
Okay these are a little more detailed and easier to understand. This is my final revision that I think will work right. The 2" shower line will start by heading towards the wall, there will be a 2" wye thats angled up at 45 degrees which which will reduce down to 1.5" pipe and head inside the wall, this will be the vent for the shower. The 2" drain line will then 45 back around and head towards the toilet drain. The 3" toilet drain will meet with the 2" shower drain via a wye and a 45 connection. After the wye, there will be 2 3" 45s that make the bend and head towards the sump basin. There will be a 3" tee that the sink line will then run into, right before the 3" line connects into the basin. The vent for the sink will continue upwards as 2", the 2" vent from the sump basin with also meet up via a tee, and both vents will head over to connect into the vent for the shower. This will be increased in size to 2" pipe. The pipe will then have to make about a 25' horizontal run, sloped at 1/4" per foot to where it will exit the wall and go up the side of my house to the roof. I'm getting ready to install a randon mitigation system, so it would be perfect run the vent pipe right beside the radon pipe and kill two birds with one stones. I know by code the sump basin should have its own vent, but I do not require a permit for this work, so no inspection, and all the reading I have done has said they can share a vent without issue.

The only reason I'm not connecting on to my existing vent is due to the existing vent serves a sink on the main floor, and I can not connect to it above the water line, therefore I need a new vent installed for this bathroom. let me know what you think.
bathroom 2.jpg
bathroom 3.jpg

Xandrew245x

Reaction score
If you really recommend a separate vent for the sump basin could I us an aav for the shower and sink vent instead. This would prevent me from running two separate vents.

Last edited:

Xandrew245x

Reaction score
I actually found this picture online and this is pretty much the same layout that I will be running my plumbing. other than the wye for the vent not going upgrade at a 45 degree angle, is there anything else wrong with this layout?

Attachments

• BaseBathRough.JPG
    BaseBathRough.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 6,775

Xandrew245x

Reaction score
Okay here is a picture of the connections with a drawing over laid.
White is the pipe that will be buried under the concrete, the red is the vertical pipe for the sink and the blue are the vents. 2" shower trap goes into the rear wall where the vent goes vertical up into the wall. The pipe 45s and head towards the 3" wye and ties into the toilet. It then makes to 45s to head towards the sump pit. I need a long 90 for the toilet, all I had was the short one. I also need a wye for the sink, I only had a tee. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• bathroom sketch.jpg
    bathroom sketch.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 817
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks